PDA

View Full Version : Thieves steal £65,000-worth of fireworks

displayfireworks1
10-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Thousands of professional rockets and other pyrotechnics have been stolen from a fireworks display storage unit in Linlithgow.

The industrial batch of explosives has been labelled “potentially lethal” by police and professionals.

Daring thieves are believed to have used a heavy goods vehicle to make off with the high-grade haul from Saw Mill, off the A904 South Queensferry to Bo’ness road, some time between Saturday and yesterday.

The 4800 fireworks belong to 21cc, one of Scotland’s top display teams, which has been planning a huge event at nearby Hopetoun House on November 2.

Director Geoff Crow said the show would go on regardless as he warned the stolen fireworks could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Mr Crow said: “These fireworks need to be handled by professionals and have to be prepared before use. If a member of the public tried to light one of them they could do themselves and anyone standing nearby a very serious injury.

“These are in no way back garden fireworks. They are not wrapped in colourful paper with pretty pictures, they very clearly state that they are professional fireworks.”

Police said the fireworks were contained in five steel containers and believe thieves must have used an HGV to make off with them.

Detective Sergeant Paul Carroll, from Police Scotland, said: “The theft of such a large quantity of fireworks is concerning, not least because of their explosive content, and the potential for serious injury if

mishandled.

“The stolen fireworks are potentially lethal if used by members of the public, and we are warning people to be on the guard and only buy fireworks from reputable dealers.

“The fireworks stolen are Category 4 under the Fireworks Act 2003, which restricts their sale to fireworks

professionals.”

He continued: “Anyone who has heard of the movement of this large quantity of stolen fireworks, or who has been offered fireworks for sale which they think may have been stolen, should also get in touch.”

Those with information should contact Police Scotland on 101, or make an anonymous report through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
http://w0.fast-meteo.com/locationmaps/Linlithgow.8.gif

pyrorooky
10-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Im just over the water from there in Dunfermline. The police have been stepping up patrols over that way and over my way as fireworks have been on sale since the 15th. You can obviously tell proffesional to public fireworks so im sure if they set them of the police will know straight away so it was completley stupid doing that as they WILL get caught. I will certainly keep my eyes and especially my ears wide open just to be on the safe side.