PDA

View Full Version : Artilary shells.

pyrorooky
10-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Can anyone tell me why artilary shells are banned in the uk? Kind of dissapointed about that as I have watched lots of videos and they look fantastic! Really wish we where able to get them here.

displayfireworks1
10-16-2013, 09:36 PM
I would like to know this myself because for all the safety crazy rules in United States, reloadable artillery shells are permitted in some states that allow consumer fireworks.
The little bit of research I did about fireworks laws in the United Kingdom classifies all reloadable shells as professional fireworks. It may be related to 1994 accident
Mortar Shells: all fireworks of the "aerial shell"/"mortar shell" type, which launch single, large projectiles into the air where they explode to create effects - are Category 4. This was as a result of the deaths in 1994 of Stephen Timcke and David Hattersley who were killed by mortars on successive nights
I do not know and only speculate, perhaps someone can tell us more.

pyrorooky
10-17-2013, 03:58 AM
I think you have just hit the nail on the head right there.

displayfireworks1
10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
In Kent, Steve Timcke, 34, a wealthy City trader, died instantly when a grenade-shaped "professional" firework, with instructions only in Chinese, blew up in his face. The fireworks display at his Wilmington home, near Dartford, was intended to be spectacular. His two young children were among 40 people at the private party on Saturday evening. His wife was away from home, taking a short shopping holiday in New York.

On the same day, David Hattersley, a 45-year-old primary-school headteacher, died in hospital after an 8lb mortar-type firework went off in his face during a display watched by hundreds of parents and children on Friday night.

He bought fireworks for the display from a retired vicar who runs a firework company in Cambridgeshire. Last night safety campaigners called for compulsory training for organisers of public firework displays and an urgent revision of "ancient" fireworks legislation
This sort of thing frequently happens in United States, when someone of wealth or notoriety gets hurt or dies using a product it always seems to call for political action. I just referenced a similar situation here in United States in the state of New Hampshire. The problem most likely is it is too difficult for the legislatures to differentiate between a small reloadable shell and a display shell. Thus, they just ban any fireworks product that loads into a mortar. These reloadable shells are also forbidden in some other countries, however they are sold preloaded in their own single use mortar.

pyrorooky
10-17-2013, 12:19 PM
But then I guess this incident could happen with any firework so why just ban shells? I think what they should really do or have done from the start is make it so you need a license to fire or purchase fireworks but in order to get your license you have partake in a school/class with proper training on all different fireworks including how they should properly face etc etc then this sort of thing would not happen then that way they do not need to ban anything.

Bung
04-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Late, I know, but a commonly used 3 inch shell leaves the mortar at 200mph and will take your head clean off. A cake fires a small tube projectile which contains ghe effect at a slower speed and being lighter, is most likely to leave you with a serious injury at worst, not kill you. Fireworks most likely to kill or have no visible instructions and or are above a certain weight are only to be used by fully qualified pyrotechnicians.