PDA

View Full Version : The B.O.S.S.

J's12talk
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I think I'm correct in saying that Kellners B.O.S.S. system falls into this catagory. I use these 10 shot slice cakes in all of my 1.4g shows. I generally shoot them one at a time thru out the show whenever it feels right for the extra WOW factor to be inserted. If you're looking to kick your show up a notch these will do it.

displayfireworks1
04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I think you are correct about the B.O.S.S fireworks at Kellners being “Articles of Pyrotechnics”. I think I will be getting some video of those in action at his demo.
Dave displayfireworks1

J's12talk
04-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Dave I've got some ordered for the open shoot, standard breaks and salutes. I can do a set up like I did for you last year. I'll be down around noon on thursday we'll talk.

displayfireworks1
04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I should buy some of those B.O.S.S salutes also; I thought they sounded great last year. I should be at Kellners early Thursday . I look for you and anyone else out there that attends please say hello if you see me. Also to everyone out there going to Kellners please, bring as many 1.75 racks as you can for the 288 salutes I will be shooting. We will also need help fusing, so this is your chance to learn fusing techniques.

Dave displayfireworks1

bweaver1985
04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
We used some of these slice cakes during the Marlins Game for Home Run Fireworks from the Stands

J's12talk
10-18-2011, 09:29 PM
The recent Tannerite thread made me want to bring this thread back to the surface. As many of you know I am not a fan of Kellners 1.4g products but the B.O.S.S. system that they carry as an article of pyrotechnics can't be beat. Even the standard breaking rows are better than any other line of semi-pro out there and I've tested most of them personally. If you are lucky enough to have a type 54 permit the salute rows are an incredable tool to have at your disposal.

UniversalPyro
10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
i just used the B O S S from kellners, it was awesome, had 5 rows of salutes and 5 of fast fan. They really do the trick. Best part is the cost is not really bad at all. There priced well.

Pyro Nation
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Havent tried them yet... but it is in the plans for the future...

J's12talk
10-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Havent tried them yet... but it is in the plans for the future...

I'll bring some to the November shoot at Kneppy's, you won't believe the kick they have.

Pyro Nation
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Very cool.. Look forward to them.....

tgis81
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I like the BOSS's breaks... however, I had trouble with them in two shows in a row this summer. One show they didn't pass fire from the quickmatch connector to the next row, and a few of the tubes blew out. The next show - which I should add that they were NOT out of the same batch of BOSS cakes - the tubes blew out the sides and caused many of the salutes to explode either in the tubes, or in various places around the shoot site. A look at the set up after the show showed pieces of BOSS tubes scattered in all directions.

I was a HUGE fan of the BOSS system, but unfortunetly due to those consecutive failures, I lost some confidence in the system.

Like I said, I really like the breaks, the salutes, and the options.... just a little worried if they will work properly for my next show.

UniversalPyro
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Ive used 4 times this year and had trouble with connectors first but then just put fuses together and they worked fine, i never ran into the blowing apart and stuff that happened to tgis81 but it could happen like other 1.3 cakes ive used and blew apart. Where is VFI fireworks? also Tgis81, where abouts are you? im in western pa also.

UniversalPyro
10-19-2011, 07:48 PM
i see where VFi is...and i think there are some videos on here too. correct?

J's12talk
10-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I agree that the connectors do not work well enough to trust but I've used the B.O.S.S. a lot and never had one blow apart. I'm hoping you just had a bad batch.

hokester44
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
I understand the ability to customize, the AoP classification is convenient, etc. But unless there is a specific need for a certain combination at a precise time, I just dont see the value. If I were to fuse a bunch together, wouldnt it make more sense just to get a nice zipper cake for half the cost?

Dont get me wrong, I've heard nothing but good things about this product; I'd just like to see some more examples of practical, cost effective application.

PyroJoeNEPA
10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
If these came loaded with comets it would be nice. I picked up some of the 13 shot [all at once] Dominator Pink Crossette to White Strobe Mine fans at CJ's. I'll bring one to the PPA shoot. Would like to see how it compares to the BOSS brand.

J's12talk
10-20-2011, 08:44 PM
I understand the ability to customize, the AoP classification is convenient, etc. But unless there is a specific need for a certain combination at a precise time, I just dont see the value. If I were to fuse a bunch together, wouldnt it make more sense just to get a nice zipper cake for half the cost?

Dont get me wrong, I've heard nothing but good things about this product; I'd just like to see some more examples of practical, cost effective application.

I only use one row at a time to help kick it up a notch thru out the show. Check out the backyard show I posted titled 2010 Pig roast parts 1,2 and 3. I used 10 rows during the shoot all non salute rows.

Palermitano2
10-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Is Kellners the only place that carries them?

J's12talk
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Is Kellners the only place that carries them?

There has got to be other places out there that sell it.

Pyro Nation
10-20-2011, 10:14 PM
None that I found..I checked every..well maybe not every but a lot places for it.... I see a lot one row cakes like it but not the BOSS

J's12talk
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM
None that I found..I checked every..well maybe not every but a lot places for it.... I see a lot one row cakes like it but not the BOSS

Attention all venders, business alert!!!!!!!! You to can be a part of the exciting world of the B.O.S.S. Stock yours today.

Pyro Nation
10-20-2011, 10:33 PM
LOL.... seriously...that would be great idea if they would....

jknepp1954
10-21-2011, 02:00 AM
Not 100% sure - but i think BOSS is exclusively a Kellners thing. UNless a vendor would buy from Kellner, and then resell at slightly higher price...

tgis81
10-21-2011, 04:06 AM
Ive used 4 times this year and had trouble with connectors first but then just put fuses together and they worked fine, i never ran into the blowing apart and stuff that happened to tgis81 but it could happen like other 1.3 cakes ive used and blew apart. Where is VFI fireworks? also Tgis81, where abouts are you? im in western pa also.

VFI is based out of Charleroi, PA. I live a few minutes south of there. As already posted, VFI has some videos on here that Dave filmed. One is a small show at the Motordrome Racetrack in Smithton, Pa. The other is the Charleroi community 4th of July show. The Charleroi show is much bigger and more in depth. You'll see me fusing the finale for Charleroi and shooting on both shows.

Tony

PyroJoeNEPA
10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Not 100% sure - but i think BOSS is exclusively a Kellners thing. UNless a vendor would buy from Kellner, and then resell at slightly higher price...
If one of you guys have one, would you look & see if it says "made in Mexico"?

J's12talk
10-21-2011, 11:49 PM
If one of you guys have one, would you look & see if it says "made in Mexico"?

Don't get me started Joe!!!

PyroJoeNEPA
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Don't get me started Joe!!!
Didn't plan to get you upset [well, maybe a little bit] ----I know how much you like the "Fuegos de Mexico"!!! But, in all seriousness, is it a Mexican product? If so, it seems like if they fix the issues with the QM ports they will make some points in the product line.

J's12talk
10-25-2011, 08:24 PM
The B.O.S.S. system is a Chinese product line. Although Mexican products have nice color they lack the bang that we all want in the product we use. We need to send someone down there to teach them how to make flash A.S.A.P!

UniversalPyro
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
i would like to know who classified the BOSS System as a 1.4 product? and how they determine that...do you or anyone know how they do that? I saw someone shoot some BOSS a few days ago....and that man really liked the Mexican products, says he is already saving up money for their shells, just loves them.

J's12talk
11-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Omg! Lmao!

UniversalPyro
11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Omg! Lmao!

Sir...why you laughing? Some claim that the mexican market is the new China market. :)

J's12talk
11-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Seriously, articles of pyrotechnics are a now concept and might go away any time. The thought is give skilled pyro's with some creditials something a little better to shoot that in most states doesn't have to be stored in a mag. The government likes money and this is a way for them to get a little more.

UniversalPyro
11-17-2011, 11:37 PM
true...then lets throw in some other stuff too, like some roman candles that are beefed up like the Boss...it is nice you don't need the mag for that stuff...

PyroJoeNEPA
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
i would like to know who classified the BOSS System as a 1.4 product? and how they determine that...do you or anyone know how they do that? I saw someone shoot some BOSS a few days ago....and that man really liked the Mexican products, says he is already saving up money for their shells, just loves them.
Since we are all Pyro Enthusiasts here it is safe to say that we have rational minds...therefore, it is beyond our ability to understand how "The Man" determines how things are classified! For example, Kellners has 1.75" Festival Balls & Canisters in BULK Packs for sale listed under their 1.3 product line. Since they are not packaged in consumer kits with tubes they have to be classified as 1.3 product...So if I want to buy them they need magazine storage! Note--I am NOT talking about the 1.75" bulk salutes---just everyday 1.75" shells: now, if I had 3 cases of canisters or festival balls packed in kits with the tubes they are 1.4. That doesn't make sense to me--I unpack them all & separate the shells & tubes--it is the same thing...So why would I be required to store 1.4 product as if it was 1.3 just because it wasn't packaged for "consumer point of sale" product when I purchased it? We need some "tweaking" with the regulations IMHO. OK, I'm stepping down off of my soapbox now....need some Chamomile tea.

UniversalPyro
11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I always wondered about a B class 1 3/4 shell...soo a b shell is the he same as the c shell?

PyroJoeNEPA
11-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I always wondered about a B class 1 3/4 shell...soo a b shell is the he same as the c shell?
1.75" salute is a class B item. Just looked at the latest Kellners 1.75 " "B" list--they have the "festival ball" package now with salutes mixed in...last year they were all effects, no salutes. Canisters are still without salutes. So, yes, with the exception of the salutes they are the same amount of composition as the class C stuff.

J's12talk
11-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Getting back to the B.O.S.S. system we tried 3 differerent row cake systems recently and found that the B.O.S.S. bangs the best. Some of the various effects are better from other brands but as much as I am hard on Kellners, their B.O.S.S. system bangs the best hands down.

Pyro Nation
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
MEXICAN shells are J's favorite items, Anyone have any you recommend to him?

J's12talk
11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
MEXICAN shells are J's favorite items, Anyone have any you recommend to him?

Keep it up guys and I won't even be allowed in a Taco Bell. LOL!

pyrocrazy
01-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Do you need a ATF Lic. for the B.O.S.S CAKES

Pyro Nation
01-18-2012, 01:18 AM
No U dont, but u do need the ATF license if u want to get the Salute part of the B.O.S.S.