PDA

View Full Version : using magnesium in making flash powder

washoezepher
09-18-2013, 08:18 PM
can someone tell me what to use with magnesium powder (mix ratio) for small salutes? I have a pound of atomized magnesium powder 325 mesh and would like to experiment with it for making small salutes but not really sure what other chemical to mix with it to do this, I am new at this and could use a tip or fifty (LOL) on what is the best chemical to use with the magnesium to get the best bang for my buck so to speak, thanks ahead to anyone that can help me out here, thanks washoezepher

chris v
09-19-2013, 05:07 AM
As everyone on this site will tell you is that you should never make flash as a beginner . Respect is need with any pyro comp and flash demands it all you hardly find pyro makers use mag for their salutes for the fact that it reacts with water so stop where you are and get dark pyro aluminum but you can make salutes with mag but I won't say unless Dave says its ok and its not like regular salute formula

displayfireworks1
09-19-2013, 09:31 AM
There are no restrictions on this forum to talk about making fireworks including salutes. It would be prudent to also explain the proper precautions. Just because someone wants to talk about making something, does not mean they necessarily want to build anything. If someone wanted to build a salute would they be safer if they knew the pro’s and cons of multiple formula or if they went out on their own because no one told them anything. Of course, if we suspect someone is making salutes and selling them around the neighborhood, we do not want to be a part of that. We also should not be leading someone into danger with multiple communications and instructions. Use your judgment if you are suspicious of someone’s intent do not be a part of it, my experience thus far is most of these questions are curiosity seekers.
Chris v, you were smart to use caution on this post because, his very first question is about making salutes, not that it always indicates bad intent but it does draw some suspicion to yourself. The more you read what he wrote he paints a risky endeavor. I also was suspicious and discovered he was a problem from my YouTube videos trickling over to the forums. We will keep the subject open and continue to proceed with caution. Good call , thanks.
Read the comments on this video and see how someone is leading this same guy "Ray" into danger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1tBxJXoxwo

Pyro-T
09-19-2013, 09:33 AM
As far as I know atomised alumium or magnesium will hardly or not work in a flash comp. Because atomised magnesium is shaped as tiny balls it will not burn like normal dark aluminium etc.
And indeed like chris v says; do not experiment with flash without any experience! You're not making mixing a cake recipe. Adding flash ingredients already gives a dangerous reaction when not done properly.

chris v
09-19-2013, 03:37 PM
There are no pros to using mag over al just cons mag is reactive with water in the air so most people tend to stay away from it in salutes the way I use mag in any of my comps is to add boric acid to the comp which help to prevent the reaction between the water and mag ... with that said it is not a guarantee it won't happen ...so ill give you this formula I don't know if it will work with atomized mag that large 70% potassium perchlorate 30% mag + 2-5% boric acid if you make this good luck and stay safe

Chris H
10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't do that. Boric acid only works with aluminum. Boric acid will actually attack magnesium. It's also incompatible with magnalium. If you want to protect magnesium, you should look into some of the coatings or additives like linseed oil or potassium dichromate.

boo2blue
10-31-2013, 04:41 PM
you use a 50/50 ratio of potassium nitrate and magnesium powder. Its a pretty good flash composition.

radagast97
05-16-2016, 10:36 PM
... If you want to protect magnesium, you should look into some of the coatings or additives like linseed oil or ...

What would be the best way to coat magnesium powder? linseed oil seems too heavy. Linseed oil diluted in a light oil like naptha? Anyone have any ideas?

PGH_Pyro
05-17-2016, 09:16 PM
magnesium is where you get the very bright / blinding salutes, eh ? ( in what little i know of pyro salute chemistry/compositions)
also, tends to be volatile . not for beginners .

displayfireworks1
05-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Do assume he is a beginner, he has a reasonable question. I really do not know the answer. I was hoping PyroJoe would answer this.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Do assume he is a beginner, he has a reasonable question. I really do not know the answer. I was hoping PyroJoe would answer this.

I didn't reply earlier because my answer was--and is--Stay Away From Magnesium Flash!!!
In fact, any beginner should stay way from making any type of flash until you understand the "how to's" and dangers associated with it.
Standard 70/30 is dangerous enough. There are more than 50 various formulae for different types of flash ranging from the old time "photoflash" used in photography to newer safer formulae using blue aluminum or TPA [Terephalic Acid].
Someone new to the hobby that wants to make some "bangers" can do so by first learning how to make "maroons"--which are pretty simple black powder salutes but still make some nice noise and are relatively safe to make.

displayfireworks1
05-18-2016, 10:02 PM
I know it is easier to use the flash aluminum's, what exactly makes Magnesium flash so dangerous. i know moisture is an issue. What else? I never thought Magnesium salutes were louder than aluminum. I do not know what the benefit of mag is. i believe it is used color flash correct?

PyroJoeNEPA
05-19-2016, 08:28 AM
I know it is easier to use the flash aluminum's, what exactly makes Magnesium flash so dangerous. i know moisture is an issue. What else? I never thought Magnesium salutes were louder than aluminum. I do not know what the benefit of mag is. i believe it is used color flash correct?

There really is no benefit to using it over the conventional formula--and yes, it does "wick" moisture. There is a formula that uses Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Perchlorate, Magnalium, & Magnesium that makes a blinding white flash used for shell inserts but it is very sensitive & requires a "soft break" when used in shells. Similar to the effect in a police issue "flash/bang" device. Nitrates & Chlorates do NOT "play well" together. That is why I only listed the ingredients used and not the weight ratios of the actual formula. Not something for the novice to be making.
Colored flash comps generally are a nitrate base and use the key elements to derive color--ie Strontium for red, etc. Some of the "older" color formula used potassium chlorate which made for a very sensitive and unsafe mix.

NWPA
05-19-2016, 10:00 AM
I would listen to pyrojoes advice. 70/30 is bad enough. I don't dabble in making much any more but speaking for myself Magnesium, phosphorus, and paris green were on my list of do not use a long time ago.

pyro29
05-20-2016, 07:48 AM
There are no pros to using mag over al just cons

Unless you're making colored salutes, such as the Spanish and Portuguese do, in which case, Mg flash IS appropriate but this is hardly something any beginner should try, let alone even think about.

radagast97
05-23-2016, 04:38 PM
WRT coating question. This was from curiosity, not for practical use. I made Mg based flash when much younger (40+ years ago), but have little desire to make it now. I was extremely lucky, considering what I know now and had a few close calls.

clr8ter
10-29-2016, 09:08 AM
I have a friend that used to be a builder. For himself, and at a fireworks company. Even he stayed away from MAG flash, saying it's too touchy, and brutally potent, even in tiny, unconfined amounts.

RalphieJ
10-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Nobody makes magnesium star shells anymore?

PyroJoeNEPA
10-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Nobody makes magnesium star shells anymore?

Yes, there are many formulae currently used that incorporate magnesium or magnalium [magnesium/aluminum compound]. These star formulae are not the same as making a magnesium flash powder.

Bangkokpyro
10-30-2016, 03:38 AM
Potassium Dichromate is the most reliable way to coat Magnesium and prevent unwanted reactions with other chemicals.