PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 user permit

pyromaniac
02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Let me start out by congratulating Dave on the new web site! I figured a thread about this topic is only appropriate. This info might seem like the obvious for some, but for others this could be the first time hearing it. It actually took me quite awhile to figure it all out! Anyone 21 or older in the US, and can pass the ATF back round check AND meet the storage requirements, CAN get a license. It does NOT matter which state you live in. Now storage and getting permits to shoot will differ from state to state. I guess I'm just trying to inform anyone, like me, who lives in a very restricted state!

Snakebite
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Compared to here, it's not that strict at all. Over here (in the Netherlands) it's a lot more difficult to pull something like that off. We only have like 200~ish people in the entire country that are certified to shoot 1.3G.

To those who can: count yourself lucky. To those who are trying: good luck!

fireworksgeek82
02-23-2011, 10:57 PM
I also want to congratulate Dave on his new website. I happened upon his youtube page about a month ago and really enjoyed his videos. My question is about the type 54 permit and more about what the permit holders responsible for once he or she obtains it? I have heard the pyros in my area say that it is more trouble than it is worth because of the inspections that go with it and the requirement of having an ATF approved magazine. I would appreciate any info that anyone could provide.

PyroMike79
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
I have been following Dave's videos since near the beginning and this site is going to be a great experience! My question about the type 54 license is in regards to the storage requirements. Do they vary from state to state or is it a federal standard? I live in Illinois and our fireworks laws are at best hard to figure out. I am very interested in buying the video and getting the license but want to be sure that storage is not going to be my downfall. Any info?

pyro76
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Mike you don't need a magazine. You can have a contigency plan. Basically if you buy from a supplier that's near you they will store them until you pick up within a certain time frame. What it also means if say you want to shoot on a certain day and it rains or if you don't shoot everything off you have to bring anything that wasn't shot back to the supplier so they can put it back into storage for the time. Hope this helps

beakman706
02-23-2011, 11:35 PM
I have my license for 1.3 but i wait until the 2nd or 3rd of July to get my fireworks because of the storage. Some of the small magazines are expensive and that's for the "cheap" magazines. I'm hoping Dave can make a deal with a magazine supplier to get a decent price for small time shooter to store our goods

PyroMike79
02-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Okay, that makes sense. I would only be purchasing fireworks shortly before the 4th and they would all be used over the holiday. I was worried about the need for a magazine but it appears I should be okay. Now I just have to get the ball rolling and get that license! Thanks all.

pyro76
02-25-2011, 12:37 AM
It's not difficult at all, once you get it it's good for 3yrs so you don't have to keep renewing each yr

Ron M
02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Actually in the federal realm the 1.3G fireworks may not be out of care and custody ever. After leaving their secure location (supplier) and after transport they must be in some kind of secure location within 24 hours after that transport ends. While in transport DOT and ATF rules. (Vehicle cannot be un-attended etc.) Afterward they gotta be locked up somewhere in an ATF approved and/or inspected magazine and or secured to their satisfaction. It could be the suppliers mag. if you return it. It could be a mag. of someone you have listed with the ATF (contingency storage) or your own mag. But to stay legal it's gotta be locked up ONLY where they approve. Now if it is all gone then there is no problem. We really enjoyed the show! Shoot another!!

BigBang87
03-01-2011, 01:25 AM
I have my license for 1.3 but i wait until the 2nd or 3rd of July to get my fireworks because of the storage. Some of the small magazines are expensive and that's for the "cheap" magazines. I'm hoping Dave can make a deal with a magazine supplier to get a decent price for small time shooter to store our goods

I second that! I would love to get small magazine just to take the worry out of picking everything up the day of the shoot, any time I shoot its for a party of mine and Id like to be relaxed not running around picking my orders.

Pyro Nation
03-01-2011, 02:44 AM
I would like to start off thanking Dave for the videos he made. I got my license (WOOOOHOOO) this weekend. Was actually a really fast process for me. ATF received my application on January 20th. I got the interview on February 9th and the license came in the mail on February 26th. I have a show on March 11th so it showed up just in time to add some touch of BOOM to the private show

UniversalPyro
03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I just sent in my permit info...what does the interview consists of? What are the questions and what to expect?

Pyro Nation
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
They want to go over a list of things that are relevent to storage, handling, usage etc. They will answer any questions ya have. If you are using contingency plan life is easier during interview. Since if ya have magazine involves a inspection and other things related to that

fatcat
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
congratulations PYROL. have been thinking about getting the type 54 for a long time and hearing your story and others like it just gives me more incentive. Hope you enjoy now being able to shoot the (big stuff) Once again, CONGRATULATIONS

Pyro Nation
03-03-2011, 11:29 PM
thanks fatcat... First show with them next friday the 11th, Just got a brand new HD camcorder.. So hoping for some good video. Using a new wireless firing system as well

shellshocker
03-04-2011, 06:28 AM
First let me thank Dave for finally getting me up and running. Just wanted to point out that a 54 permit doesn't allow you to pick up your fireworks before the day you shoot. If you have contigency storage you have to pick up that day. Remember you are not allowed to store fireworks, not even for a day or two, thats why you have a contigency storage agreement. If your plan on doing less than 6 shows a year and only shooting in your state go with the coupons and not the 54.

UniversalPyro
03-05-2011, 08:19 PM
First let me thank Dave for finally getting me up and running. Just wanted to point out that a 54 permit doesn't allow you to pick up your fireworks before the day you shoot. If you have contigency storage you have to pick up that day. Remember you are not allowed to store fireworks, not even for a day or two, thats why you have a contigency storage agreement. If your plan on doing less than 6 shows a year and only shooting in your state go with the coupons and not the 54.

Whats the coupons?

shellshocker
03-06-2011, 07:23 AM
The coupons allow you to purchase up to 6 times a year within your state. I believe it is $25.00 a year and you renew every year. The biggest difference is you don't have to keep all the paperwork and you only see an ATF agent once, when you first get your license. Check the ATFs website or when you get your application you'll see it on there.

UniversalPyro
03-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I looked at different permit, doesnt say anything about seeing a aft agent. except for interview, can someone that does the process let me know what does happen if you get permit and have your own display.

shellshocker
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
If your looking for the ATF to spell out that they don't typically inspect coupon people you won't find it. If you plan to be a display company then you need a 54 and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Palermitano2
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
The storage thing is killing me....I cannot find contingency anywhere in New England. What could I be doing wrong ?

Pyro Nation
03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Look for anyone in explosives or fireworks.

Palermitano2
03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I ve tried it all the people in explosives dont want the headache the people in Fireworks think I am going to be a competitor to them.