PDA

View Full Version : Torpedoes made with Realgar??

Pyrocity
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi all, anyone have any insight for making throw down torpedoes like they made in the old days? A buddy of mine made some with some realgar I got for him years ago.

The torps were absolutely awesome! and they stored well.

I am interested in any safety information and formulae that any experienced members can contribute. Thanks!

NightHawkInLight
03-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Torpedoes and the compositions used to make them are inherently extremely dangerous. Since there are currently no forum rules preventing the discussion of this topic I will leave it for now, but if comments or suggestions are made with anything less than the utmost detail and regard for safety they will be removed immediately.

Now then, there are many compositions that could be used in a torpedo, including those with realgar. The requirements of a torpedo composition are to:
1-Be energetic enough to cause a bang in small amounts
2-Have the sensitivity to be initiated upon impact
3-Remain 'stable' in storage

1 & 2 are characteristics that would prevent just about any builder from using such a composition even in a firework that was to be ignited from a safe distance, yet the purpose of a torpedo is to be thrown from the hand. A lot of faith goes into imparting momentum from your hand into an object that is meant to explode upon impact.

The manufacture of such devices is even more dangerous than the use. All compositions for torpedoes use potassium chlorate in combination with other chemicals to form what are lovingly named by the pyro community as 'death mixes'. By making them you risk life, limb, property, and a very possible run in with the law. There is no way to handle such compositions that could ever be called safe. I cannot overemphasize the danger involved. You may be lucky enough to experiment with death mixes for years, but they are unpredictable, and will most certainly cause an accident in due time even with stringent safety measures.

Now having given fair warning I will list some compositions. Every one has incompatibilities between two or more chemicals that makes them dangerously sensitive. Here are several that have been used:

Potassium Chlorate - 12
Sulfur - 7
Antimony Trisulfide - 9

Potassium Chlorate - 4
Sulfur - 3
Antimony Trisulfide - 1

Potassium Chlorate - 16
Sulfur - 12
Antimony Trisulfide - 3

Railroad Torpedoes:

Potassium Chlorate - 16
Antimony Trisulfide - 12
Aluminum Dust - 1

Potassium Chlorate - 40%
Sulfur - 16
Sand (-60mesh) - 5
Binder (possibly dextrin) - 5
Neutralizer (possibly sodium bicarb) - 2

The composition of the realgar torpedoes was likely something like this:

Potassium Chlorate - 63
Realgar - 37

I post this information to educate your curiosities, and hopefully scare you into pursuing real pyrotechnics rather than these obscenely dangerous and crude devices.

Pyrocity
03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you for your candor and your helpful advice, warnings and formulae. I am fully cognizant of the dangers of these mixes, and wholly agree with you of the inherent dangers of mixing KClO3 and sulfur, sulfides and for that matter just about any other types of fuels. Please understand, I have enough sense to ask questions and study a project to acheive a relative comfort zone in regards to my own personal safety.

I DO truly appreciate your comments and concerns for the safety of me and for the general readership here in this forum, and must agree that even seasoned pyros should think long and hard about conjuring up creations such as these. That being said, I will simply state I have have 24 years of experienc in manufacturing fireworks of just about all types. There is a few esoteric items still on my list which I have as yet never had the pleasure to work on. This is simply on of them.

Crude as these may be, they are nevertheless a fascination of mine, and will continue to persue until fruition, however, I'm not in hurry to make it happen until I have learned all I can about this before actually attempting such a feat. This is my personal methodology I have used in all my fireworks production over the past 2-1/2 decades.

Any one of us must realize that there is danger in what we do. To not be aware of this and have this type of hobby is for sure, how you wind up maimed, sued, or dead!

There are old pyros, and bold pyros. There just aren't any old, bold pyros!

Hats off to NightHawkInLight!