PDA

View Full Version : New from Utah

thursday
07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Hello all,

This isn't exactly a firework question, but I figure the firework community would be the most helpful.

I'm trying to develop a red aerial flare for a 410 shotgun. I've found a few different recipes online for road flares that I'm going to try. I'd like to hear your guys opinions on the different compositions and which one you think would be best for my application before I buy a bunch of ingredients.

Here is the website I found for road flare composition. I'm leaning towards the recipe second from the left.

61% Strontium Nitrate
15% Potassium Nitrate
6% Sulfur
5% Charcoal
13% Redgum

http://www.spiegl.org/rocket/flare/flare.html

Mods feel free to move this to the appropriate sub-forum I couldn't think of where it fit best.

Thanks,

Matt

thursday
07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Not a very active forum?

PyroManiacs
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Its an active forum... just have to wait for the right person to see this post, thats all. :)

BTW, Welcome to PyroTalk!

displayfireworks1
07-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Are you trying to add this into a shotgun shell? I would make one big red star formula. Then it would fire like a comet.

thursday
07-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I appreciate the input. Yes I'm trying to add this into a shotgun shell. Can you direct me to a Red Star formula, and why do you think it would be better than the flare formula?
thanks

thursday
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Also I've been looking at purchasing chemicals and I'm not sure which mesh grade to get. Does a higher or lower number mean it's fine or coarse?