PDA

View Full Version : The art of capturing fireworks on tape :9

GiggleGuyz
02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Since there is no subforum on subjects like this, I posted this one here. Feel free to correct me :confused:
I want to talk about capturing fireworks, and saving the experience on tape.

Part #1
"The magic hour"
The light is essential for capturing fireworks on tape. Here is some tips.

Ground salutes, firecrackers etc.
These are best captured in the day. Place the firecrackers or ground salute on a hard surface, this will help the camera to pick up the sound better. Always make sure to have your back towards the sun, otherwise the footage will get way to much light, and become murky. Having your back turning towards the sun also helps your camera, to capture the smoke and flash of the firecrackers better. This is the best way to capture any salute firework on tape. (Smoke and small novelty-fireworks are also best captured this way)

Aerial Shells
Here's the best way to capture a standard, commercially bought, aerial shell on tape.
Aerial shells are actually very hard to get great footage of. Usually because cameras from before 2004, doesn't have a "firework" function, and as a result of that the footage gets murky. So how do you use your standard "old school" camera, to capture aerial shells on tape?
This is where the idea of the "the magic hour" comes in handy.
You have approx one hour to get that dream footage of a commercial aerial shell. The hour takes place in the twillight. Just when the sun has come down you have the clear blue sky, and still got a little bit of daylight back. Place yourself so you have the just set sun behind you, and shoot the shells. Make sure to be approx 15meters from the mortartube, and follow the shell all the way to the break. Always have someone light the firework for you, otherwise the footage will get shaky.

Rockets etc.
These are hard to get good footage of.. The coolest thing about rockets is often the liftoff. The screaming of the blackpowder engine as it lifts the payload to incredible heights.. In europe almost all rockets carry what people in the US refer to as a shell. Since "shells" aren't used this often in europe, our rockets are responsible for the biggest and most beautiful breaks. So therefore the method of filming is very much like with the aerial shells, except you need to be a little futher away, to capture the bigger breaks.
Among other types of rockets there is the normal "pop"-rocket, this particular type of rocket isn't especially ecxiting, yet a good way of practice.. Since the "break" or "pop" of this rocket is very small and, doesn't produce a lot of light, it can be captured on film in complete darkness. Again make sure to have a partner ight the rocket, and stand back a good 5 meters or so. This way the camera will pick up the sound much better. Film the rocket's ascend, in a slow and relaxed way.

Salute rockets / Shells.
Are best captured on a day with a clear sky, filming this type of firework is very easy. Turn your back towards the sun, have your partner light the firework and slowly build up momentum by slowly following the shell / rocket's ascend. Salutes over 5 grams are best captured in open areas, where you can hear the thunder rolling after the break.

Part #2
"Editing your footage"
Editing footage is also an important part of filming your firework.
Experiment with the light, you're the best judge of what looks good.
Also try and experiment with the sound, try and give the sound of salute a deeper bass for example. !Remember! the sound is just as important as the shape of the break and the colour of the stars. Some might call, editing the sound cheating.. But it depends on how you look at it.

More might follow, if wanted. :p
I'm danish, so i'm sorry for any spelling mistakes.
Hope you enjoy!

xtonyfstsx
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
This is great. I am going to use all this, today possibly haha!
Keep it up!

uraniumsalute
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Great job GiggleGuyz.

Another thing to add, if you have access to 2 high quality camcorders, perhaps have two angles of it. First one can be the relatively close shot, 20-100ft away. Then have one 3-700ft away. This way, you can see the size of the effect in comparison to other objects on the screen such as houses, trees, etc. Best of all, you capture those deep, echoing reports everyone likes. :)

Shig357
03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I was wondering if someone could make a list of the best affordable camcorders to use for filming fireworks? They need to have good picture quality(HD), good sound quality(ability to add an external mic), use a memory card or internal memory(I hate converting dvds/tapes) and cost around $500.

Acid Thunder
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
You know, this morning Uraniumsalute talked about the cameras, and I was going to start a post all about this same kind of thing but Giggle beat me to it, but that's ok because he said everything much better than I could have.
Anyhow, I do want to add that I am ready for something 1080P, because I have 720p HD Sony and it sucks!!!
Even on the HQ setting, fireworks footage looks gritty, the dark sky is gritty, it's basically like watching old video tape or a DVD.
The focus is the worst!! It seems that it continues to focus and unfocus then focus again when it's folling something.

I think I'd like to have something that looks like this footage quality below. Oh, and play this full screen and crank the subwoofers! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-u3GdREJm8

uraniumsalute
03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
This took me 8 hours to upload on my line, then I find out I converted it in the wrong format, only having it on 480, when it should be 1080p. Ugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUSpiMBCjg

This kind of kills the point of my video, but regardless of the video, listen to the sound quality. That is just from the camcorder's integrated microphone. This is the Canon HF-100. I see them being sold on Ebay for <$400, I paid I believe $630 for it 2 years ago. If anyone wants me to, I can try uploading this again in the right format. Not this exact footage, but just a random grab bag of HD clips I have.

Edit: Nevermind, the conversion made the sound quality crappy too. Enjoy random fireworks footage! :o

I will get something else uploaded in a day or so.

Snakebite
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm new at filming fireworks, especially shows. Here's the first professional show I filmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxM7BvGAnrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_iBGXhr9AQ

@uraniumsalute: I don't know much about filming fireworks, but what I DO know is that you should never hold your camera vertically like you did for a bit in your video. There's nothing as annoying as watching to a video while having to tilt your head 90 degrees to properly see it.

Also, what program did you render it with? And with what settings? A HD movie should leave no black bars in a YouTube widescreen video, ESPECIALLY on both the top/bottom and the left/right side.

NightHawkInLight
03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
The most important thing to do when filming fireworks is to use manual focus. Unless you are very close to ground zero and the device being fired will only go a few feet into the air the focus should be in the infinite position. If it is not, almost all cameras will struggle to focus in the middle of the action.

Using a manual ISO setting (set somewhere on the low side) is often the best way to accurately capture what fireworks look like as well.

This video was shot with a $140 Sanyo VPC-CG20 and is even far below the original quality due to compression to ease in editing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvFChnrdV-g

When it comes to fireworks, often the cheapest cameras are on par or even better than those in the $500 range. That video was shot with manual focus, but auto ISO.