PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about PGI Shooter Clubs

Ziggirat
02-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Ok first i don't know if i post this question here or not but oh well but MY QUESTION is ok for EXAMPLE when kellners fireworks says there having a PGI shoot course for 89 dollars does this mean you when you get done with the course you get your ATF type 54 licenseand then can purchase 1.3 fireworks or does it mean when you fill thee application out for the type 54 license do you have to take this course in order to get the ATF type 54 license

i would love to here back from who ever knows. My email is beavermeat94@gmail.com my Youtube user name is MrZiggy1000 and on here Ziggirat thank you

oh Good job dave on website im from lancaster ohio thats about 40 min south of columbus ohio

bweaver1985
02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
There is no requirement of training for the ATF Type 54 license. What this probably means is its a training shooter (safety course) Kinda of like i took for Pyrotecnico. Basically i went to the class, after the class a filled out an EPQ (Employee Posessor Questioner) which basically allows me to posess / transport / use them. If you want to transport them you will need a commerical drivers license, the requirements vary by state. For Example in Florida: I have to have a Class B CDL, with Air Brake, and Hazmat Endorcements. I'm actually taking my CDL Tests next Month. It does not let you buy them with out a 54 License. To get a Type 54 you must be at least 21 years of Age, be able to pass a federal background check(s), and have the proper storage requirements.

~
Brian
Pyrotecnico Shooter

pyromaniac
02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm in the same boat! Ohio got to be one of the most complicated states when it comes to 1.3g fireworks! To answer your question about the pgi shooters course, it does not enable you to buy anything. And you do not need to take the course before you apply for a 54, but it is HIGHLY recommended! Also I would never recommend a PGI shooter course in Ohio, especially a first timer. I'm not even sure if there are any! To even touch any 1.3g product in Ohio, you have to be registered first with a company. So if there was a PGI class in Ohio, it would be minus the firing of any shells by students and probably half the price!:(

bweaver1985
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
The EPQ is the Key. The EPQ is basically a piece of paperwork provided to you by a fireworks company with there license information on it. It basically allows you to shoot product under there Type 54 license.

fireworksgeek82
03-02-2011, 04:13 AM
Hey everyone,

I live in northern Illinois and I am looking to join and club. Does anyone know of any clubs in northern Illinois?

tcape
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Technically, the PGI shooters course does't give you any privileges at all. It's a training course, and a step in the process of getting PGI certified, which also technically doesn't get you any legal privileges either. Some clubs (like the WPAG - Wisconsin Pyro Arts Guild) may require the course in order to be on the "B line" or class B shooting area, and it also looks good on an application sent in to the ATF for a type 54. I've taken the course and I would recommend it to everyone, no matter how experienced or unexperienced they are. I would even recommend it to those who aren't even looking to shoot 1.3 and shoot exclusively 1.4. The course teaches safety, which can never be touched on enough.

Hey everyone,

I live in northern Illinois and I am looking to join and club. Does anyone know of any clubs in northern Illinois?

As far as I know, there aren't any clubs in Illinois, but just north of you is the WPAG (http://wpag.us/). The WPAG offers classes on manufacturing shells, rockets, just about everything. Some of the best rocket builders and shell builders in the world are from Wisconsin, plus Paul Biersach, the "master" of Dragon's Breath, is also a member. Check it out.