PDA

View Full Version : type 54 - relief of disability

fireworksnut
03-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Is anybody familiar with the process of filing for "Relief of "Disability" after a denial for the type 54?

shellshocker
03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Depends on why you are asking. If you were denied because of a felony conviction you need to get a pardon first. Care to say why you were denied?

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I uhhh.. Didnt know how to answer this one without getting him to say why first.

fireworksnut
03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
When I was a teenager, I spent a weekend in a mental health crisis center (this was over a decade ago). The ATF denied my application due to me being in a "mental hospital". I obtained the relief of disability paperwork and have already met with an agent twice. It seems to be a very long and tedious process. My application was denied all the way back in November. I have scoured the internet looking for anybody else with a similar story, and can't find a single one.

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow.. Im sorry to hear this. All I can say is keep trying. I don't know anyone with a similar story. Maybe Dave will since he has many people he has come across

ilmoam
03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Keep us updated with how this turns out. This is unfamiliar territory with me as well, but I will ask around. Good luck!

shellshocker
03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Glad to here thats all it is. Federal stuff is a lot more complicated than state. I'll see if I can get you a good answer.

ilmoam
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
This is From the ATF orange book

§ 555.142 Relief from disabilities (effective January 24, 2003).
(a) Any person prohibited from shipping or transporting any explosive in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce or from receiving or possessing any explosive which has been shipped or transported in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce may make application for relief from disabilities under section 845(b) of the Act.
(b) An application for relief from disabilities must be filed with the Director by submitting ATF Form 5400.29, Application for Restoration of Explosives Privileges, in accordance with the instructions on the form. The application must be supported by appropriate data, including the information specified in paragraph (f) of this section. Upon receipt of an incomplete or improperly executed application for relief, the applicant will be notified of the deficiency in the application. If the application is not corrected and returned within 30 days following the date of notification, the application will be considered abandoned.
(c) (1) The Director may grant relief to an applicant if it is established to the satisfaction of the Director that the circumstances regarding the disability and the applicant’s record and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that the granting of such relief is not contrary to the public interest.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, the Director will not grant relief if the applicant—
(i) Has not been discharged from parole or probation for a period of at least 2 years;
(ii) Is a fugitive from justice;
(iii) Is a prohibited alien;
(iv) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
(v) Has been adjudicated a mental defective or committed to a mental institution, unless the applicant was subsequently determined by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority to have been restored to mental competency, to be no longer suffering from a mental disorder, and to have had all rights restored; or
(vi) Is prohibited by the law of the State where the applicant resides from receiving or possessing explosive materials.
(3)(i) The Director may grant relief to aliens who have been lawfully admitted to the United States or to persons who have not been discharged from parole or probation for a period of at least 2 years if he determines that the applicant has a compelling need to possess explosives, such as for purposes of employment.
(ii) The Director may grant relief to the persons identified in paragraph (c)(2) of this section in extraordinary circumstances where the granting of such relief is consistent with the public interest.
(d) A person who has been granted relief under this section is relieved of all disabilities imposed by the Act for the disabilities disclosed in the application. The granting of relief will not affect any disabilities incurred subsequent to the date the application was filed. Relief from disabilities granted to aliens will be effective only so long as the alien retains his or her lawful immigration status.
(e)(1) A licensee or permittee who is under indictment or information for, or convicted of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year during the term of a current license or permit, or while he has pending a license or permit renewal application, shall not be barred from licensed or permit operations for 30 days after the date of indictment or information or 30 days after the date upon which his conviction becomes final. Also, if he files his application for relief under this section within such 30 day period, he may further continue licensed or permit operations while his application is pending. A licensee or permittee who does not file an application within 30 days from the date of his indictment or information, or within 30 days from the date his conviction becomes final, shall not continue licensed or permit operations beyond 30 days from the date of his indictment or information or beyond 30 days from the date his conviction becomes final.
(2) In the event the term of a license or permit of a person expires during the 30 day period following the date of indictment of information of during the 30 day period after the date upon which his conviction becomes final or while his application for relief is pending, he shall file a timely application for renewal of his license or permit in order to continue licensed or permit operations. The license or permit application is to show that theapplicant has been indicted or under information for, or convicted of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.
(3) A licensee or permittee shall not continue licensed or permit operations beyond 30 days following the date the Director issues notification that the licensee’s or permittee’s application for removal of the disabilities resulting from an indictment, information or conviction has been denied.
(4) When a licensee or permittee may no longer continue licensed or permit operations under this section, any application for renewal of license of permit filed by the licensee or permittee while his application for removal of disabilities resulting from an indictment, information or conviction is pending, will be denied by the regional director (compliance).
(f)(1) Applications for relief from disabilities must include the following information:
(i) In the case of a corporation, or of any person having the power to direct or control the management of the corporation, information as to the absence of culpability in the offense for which the corporation, or any such person, was indicted, formally accused or convicted;
(ii) In the case of an applicant who is an individual, two properly completed FBI Forms FD–258 (fingerprint card), and a written statement from each of three references who are not related to the applicant by blood or marriage and have known the applicant for at least 3 years, recommending the granting of relief;
(iii) Written consent to examine and obtain copies of records and to receive statements and information regarding the applicant’s background, including records, statements and other information concerning employment, medical history, military service, immigration status, and criminal record;
(iv) In the case of an applicant having been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, a copy of the indictment or information on which the applicant was convicted, the judgment of conviction or record of any plea of nolo contendere or plea of guilty or finding of guilt by the court;
(v) In the case of an applicant under indictment, a copy of the indictment or information;
(vi) In the case of an applicant who has been adjudicated a mental defective or committed to a mental institution, a copy of the order of a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that made the adjudication or ordered the commitment, any petition that sought to have the applicant so adjudicated or committed, any medical records reflecting the reasons for commitment and diagnoses of the applicant, and any court order or finding of a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority showing the applicant’s discharge from commitment, restoration of mental competency and the restoration of rights;
(vii) In the case of an applicant who has been dis-charged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions, a copy of the applicant’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Department of Defense Form 214), Charge Sheet (Department of Defense Form 458), and final court martial order;
(viii) In the case of an applicant who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship, a copy of the formal renunciation of nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state or before an officer designated by the Attorney General when the United States was in a state of war (see 8 U.S.C. 1481(a)(5) and (6)); and
(ix) In the case of an applicant who is an alien, documentation that the applicant is an alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States; certification from the applicant including the applicant’s INS-issued alien number or admission number, country/countries of citizenship, and immigration status, and certifying that the applicant is legally authorized to work in the United States, or other purposes for which possession of explosives is required; certification from an appropriate law enforcement agency of the applicant’s country of citizenship stating that the applicant does not have a criminal record; and, if applicable, certification from a Federal explosives licensee or permittee or other employer stating that the applicant is employed by the employer and must possess explosive materials for purposes of employment. These certifications must be submitted in English.
(2) Any record or document of a court or other government entity or official required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section must be certified by the court or other government entity or official as a true copy.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1140–0076)
[T.D. ATF–87, 46 FR 40384, Aug. 7, 1981. Redesignated by T.D. ATF–487, 68 FR 3748, Jan. 24, 2003. ATF No. 1, 68 FR 13792, Mar. 20, 2003]

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Thats also on there website. Im sure he has read that over and over

pistolus
03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Those seem to be the parts that deal with your situation (v) and (vi)... These days anybody who was depressed or got a drunken disorderly in the street or various other things that wouldn't normally be classified as such can be tagged with this by the Feds.. it's just their way of cracking down.. I also remember the days when your pre-adult record would be expunged when you turned 18.. But basically they'll find any way to stop anybody from obtaining those licenses if they can.. They wish to outlaw all pyrotechnic chemicals etc.. we just have to keep the pressure on them... Fireworks enthusiasts aren't a threat to national security OK!! lol

(v) Has been adjudicated a mental defective or committed to a mental institution, unless the applicant was subsequently determined by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority to have been restored to mental competency, to be no longer suffering from a mental disorder, and to have had all rights restored; or
(vi) Is prohibited by the law of the State where the applicant resides from receiving or possessing explosive materials.

fireworksnut
03-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks everybody. Getting my type 54 started off as a very exciting idea. I was hoping to take my 4th of July 2011 show to the next level. Now I am losing steam because of an incident over a decade ago. I was in the hospital for only 2 days. Since I was released, I would assume I would have had to "have been restored to mental competency, to be no longer suffering from a mental disorder, and to have had all rights restored"? My agent told me he needs to talk with every landlord I have ever had, every employer I have ever had, every doctor I have ever had, over 100 of my neighbors, etc. It seems like an overwhelming task. I would not want to have to interview that many people. Looks like I won't be receiving answers as quick as some of you have. I am glad they are being thorough so the wrong person does not obtain this license, however this all seems a bit extreme for a minor indiscretion in my teen years. Looks like it is time to play the waiting game. Do you guys think it would be inappropriate for me to contact the ATF in Washington DC from time to time for a status update?

fireworksnut
03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Also, my agent has decided not to interview any family or friends. Wouldn't it make sense to interview the people closest to me, that have known me all my life?

Pyro Nation
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
It could be their thinking that they would say anything to help you out. Don't know if that is there thinking or not, but possible

tgis81
03-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Maybe you should have the facility that you were at write something up to say that you are alright... Maybe there is a way to petition the courts to declare the same, after a doctor from that facility says so. I'm just throwing out ideas. I would start with the facility you went to and go from there. It would surely be beneficial. The ATF Inspector is just trying to cover himself. I'm sure something from a doctor and/or the county court would help reassure him, as well as take some of the decision off of his back alone, along with roviding him legal basis for his decision.

Just some ideas to try. Those are the things I would do. Also, check into expungement of the record, if that is possible. As long as you are doing everything you legally can to help yourself, I don't see any way it could hurt to try.