PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Type 54 License Video

DLux3888
03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, but am a regular too Dave's YouTube channel. I'm posting this thread for anybody who is considering purchasing Dave's ATF Type 54 license.

Let me start by saying that I DO NOT have my Type 54 license. However, I did just mail my application in today, so I'm pretty excited. Filling out the application was a process to say the least, but because I'm using contingency storage, it was slightly simplified. I've been thinking about trying to get my license for a long time but never really tried because I figured since I don't do big shows nor do I have a place to store my fireworks, I would not be able to acquire my license.

That all changed when I stumbled across Dave's channel, and his ATF video. For only $23, I figured what the hell, I'll try it. It was money well spent. Dave goes into great detail about the process and describes how feasible it really is for a "hobbyist pyrotechnician" to get the license. The best thing about it is that Dave describes the application in a way that a hobbyist would fill it out. For anybody who has seen the application, they know that it is definitely geared towards a business/business owner which creates a problem for an average Joe (like me). Dave was able to "translate" the application and gear it towards a hobbyist.

It really is a great aid and I definitely recommend it to anybody who is considering getting it, but is still on the fence about it. It is a HUGE help. Also, the money goes to a great cause.

indianahx
03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
i feel the same. sending mine in today as well. pretty stoked.

Pyro Nation
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I am one of them who did use Dave's videos and do have my ATF 54 now. As I posted elsewhere it is a great video that walk's you through the whole process before and after the fact

Palermitano2
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I have the Video.....the application is filled out.....I cannot find Contingency.......Ive searched hi and low.Let me refrase that I cannot find Storage within 100 miles of my shoot sight. So now I am looking to buy a House where I can build a Bunker....lol The video is worth the Money It helped fill out the paperwork. I would recomend it.

shellshocker
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Palermitano2, where the hell do you live? You should be able to get contigency from anyone you plan to buy from. Most of the 1.3 suppliers are aware if they don't give you contigency they don't sell product. Are you saying you don't have any 1.3 suppliers within 100 miles of you?

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Man if that is true Palermitano2, I will cry for you. LOL..

UniversalPyro
03-22-2011, 06:16 PM
I would like to thank Dave for the video's, i got my interview next Monday and then i should be set. The videos was a great investment for what i wanted to acheive. Thanks Dave!

Palermitano2
03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
I live In The Great old State Of Taxachussetts......I mean Massachusetts lol In Boston. My shoot sight for the 4th is at my house on Buzzards Bay which is the mouth of Cape cod. The closest company is in vermont or Western Ma over 250 miles away. If anyone knows a closer supplier to Boston Let me know. My local agent said you need storage within 100 miles or 2 hours car ride......H.E.L.P!!!!!. by the way ATLAS wont even return my emails. because they are a display company they probably consider me competition.

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
That is really tough situation Palermitano. Sucks. I don't know one unfortunately. I wish ya the best on that one

Palermitano2
03-22-2011, 08:26 PM
It does this is a tough state. Ive even looked in New Hampshire still no luck. I know there has to be storage havens all over the area for blasting companies. I just gotta keep networking and find one........

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah, that would be the best bet. See if you could hook up with one of those companies. Let them know it would only be for a short period. Offer some money if that helps for the time you would be using there storage

Palermitano2
03-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input. I could always move to PA....lol

Pyro Nation
03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes you could. Plenty of contingency around here...lol

pyromaniac
03-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I could always move to PA....lol

I second that! I've been thinking about moving to PA for some time. I also purchased Dave's video package and found it to be very helpful. Just remember that the ATF revised the application since the video been shot. Same questions, they just moved stuff around!

Pyro Nation
03-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Maniac is correct. Some questions are shifted, but are still the same answer.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I also got the videos from Dave & found them very helpful. I got contingency storage permission from the local Pyro company in my area--almost in my back yard!!!! That was a big relief!
My issue, strange enough, was with getting fingerprinted! I went to the local PD where my office is, but because my office is across the county line from my home [3 miles]they said I had to have my Township PD do it. After several calls, I finally got a call back from the Police Chief. He said they no longer did fingerprinting, & I would have to go to the State Police barracks. Couple more phone calls, & finally got it done. Officer at the State Police barracks was very nice & said he never did a print for a BATF application before. Patriotic fellow--loves fireworks himself! BTW--I would suggest you go to the BATF website & request the fingerprint card from them. It will save you some time. Also, if you request the 5400.13 form package, they include the fingerprint card & you will have the current application form [which can be downloaded from their site].
Again, Dave's video was very helpful & I would recommend it to anyone looking to get their 54.
Now I start looking into my own magazine---my wife IS very patient with me!!!!!

Pyro Nation
03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
I WANT MY OWN MAGAZINE.. I should of bought a house with more land...lol

indianahx
03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
i was told from a reputable distributor of 1.3 (name witheld) when i asked him about the possibility of being too far from his business to recieve storage that "if you look, the ATF has no regulation of a distance for contingency storage"....just saying.

Pyro Nation
03-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, that is true, but here is the catch. So, lets say you are going to do a show, but it starts to rain and I mean cats and dogs. Now what, your contingency storage is say 5 hrs away since there is no limit. And if it is already 8 at night. they are not going to be open.

DLux3888
03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I personally am trying to get contingency storage from as many suppliers as I can, no matter how far they are. I feel that it's a good idea to do so because if you travel far from home to do a show, you'll still have a place to store the unused product. The only problem with that is you will have to return to that location to pick up the fireworks in a timely fashion, as most places will only hold them for a limited amount of time.

Palermitano2
03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
i was told from a reputable distributor of 1.3 (name witheld) when i asked him about the possibility of being too far from his business to recieve storage that "if you look, the ATF has no regulation of a distance for contingency storage"....just saying.

V E R Y I N T E R E S T I N G........You may have given me the tip I have been looking for I will keep you posted........

Pyro Nation
03-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Palermitano, remember though. It is still up to the discretion of the ATF and the interviewer to grant you the 54. So, if you get a letter from someone for storage that is FAR by there Standards even if there is nothing in the book dont get upset if they still turn ya down.

On the other hand. If ya are as stuck as it seems. Doesnt hurt to try

PyroJoeNEPA
03-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Palermitano2-here is a thought for you: if you are shooting 1.4 product & want to go to 1.3 to use ematch & quickfuse [which require magazine storage] you may want to talk to a local gun shop that deals in black powder sales. They would have an indoor approved magazine for their BP & might give you "borrowed or rented" storage for your ematch/quickmatch since there is not a lot of "bulk" [like cases of 3-4" shells, etc.] involved with the storage. Basically ask them if they could store an ammo can or two for you. A "mom & pop" type gun shop would be the best bet--the big chain stores like Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's wouldn't be able to authorize it for you.
This would allow you to get the Type 54 application process going and you could continue your search for a larger storage site while already having the 54. Hope it works out for you.

Pyro Nation
03-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Actually, I got my second answer today on ematch storage for well atleast this area. I was told by 2 different 1.3 dealer's that they are considered 1.4s and do not need special storage. Now quickmatch on the other hand does..

Palermitano2
03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
This is all great advice I will keep you posted.

pyro76
03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
pyroliffic- when I had my interview I asked about ematch my agent said if they come with the pyro solution coated (the red tip) at the end of the wire, can't think of the name of the stuff..it's consider an ignitor and would be 1.3 therefore would need storage

PyroJoeNEPA
03-25-2011, 05:00 PM
It is called "pyrogen". Basically a hot prime mix with a nitrocellulose lacquer over it.

Pyro Nation
03-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Not what I was told by these dealers. I specifically asked that

pyro76
03-25-2011, 10:42 PM
thanks pyrojoe i drew a blank at the time...lol...pyroliffic just stating what i was told this is what was said:
The unregulated types are the ones that usually come with small model rockets. They are a piece of wire impregnated with a small amount of pyrotechnic material. The ones we usually see in the fireworks industry (long lead wires, red match head at the end) are actually igniters. Even though the fireworks industry calls these electric matches, they are an igniter, and are regulated. They are usually listed by DOT as 1.4 explosives, but that’s only for transportation, since they are non-mass detonating. We consider them low explosives, and they need to be stored in a Type 4.

shellshocker
03-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Palermitano, Pyro 76 is correct about ematch storage. Ematch is considered an igniter and listed as a low explosive that must be stored just like display fireworks. Don't take anyones word for it, check the ATF website and you'll see it there. You were given correct information about no distance for contigency storage, however the ATF has an unwritten policy of 100 miles or less. If you file for a 54, an agent will show up and go over all of that with you. It will however be a waste of your time as you will get a rejection letter and have to start the process all over. Again, don't take anyones word, call the ATF and confirm it.

UniversalPyro
03-26-2011, 01:25 PM
why would you say you'll get rejected?????? and its a waste of time?????? did this happen to you?

shellshocker
03-26-2011, 02:30 PM
why would you say you'll get rejected?????? and its a waste of time?????? did this happen to you?

No I haven't been rejected. I've been through the process enough times now that I know how it works. The ATF considers a 54 a privilege and can reject you for any reason they want. If your agent decides they just don't like you they can reject you application. If you don't have a storage or a contigency within the 100 miles, you'll be rejected. Once rejected your application is basically dead. If you later can get contigency or storage somewhere you have to do the application process all over. Thats why it is a waste of time.

Palermitano2
03-26-2011, 04:51 PM
No I haven't been rejected. I've been through the process enough times now that I know how it works. The ATF considers a 54 a privilege and can reject you for any reason they want. If your agent decides they just don't like you they can reject you application. If you don't have a storage or a contigency within the 100 miles, you'll be rejected. Once rejected your application is basically dead. If you later can get contigency or storage somewhere you have to do the application process all over. Thats why it is a waste of time.

This seems to be the concensus. I want to keep it as simple as I can . If I dont have storage I wont even turn in the app. I am still going to pursue storage as a part time job till i find it lol . I appreciate all the support and info from you fellow pyrotechnicians......

displayfireworks1
03-26-2011, 06:17 PM
If you purchased my video and are trying to get your ATF license do not listen to people on this forum telling you what appears to be conjecture about you being denied. Most of these anecdotal stories are purely speculative. The ATF can not deny you “For any reason they want” . That makes it sound like they can deny you for no reason. They actually need a really dam good reason why you should not have it and the need that reason in less than 90 days after you apply. And do not call and talk to them on the phone because when you ask them questions you get a different answer every time. You may not even be talking to an inspector. You do exactly what I instruct in the video and complete the application and submit the material. When you submit the application is when the real story starts. I hear from people all the time that tell me they now have their fireworks license to purchase 1.3. Items and never thought it possible. If they deny you, you will get your money back anyway. And if you did something wrong on the applications they may even help you along to do it correctly.

Dave displayfireworks1

If you need help applying for a license to purchase 1.3 fireworks please consider my instructional video.
http://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

UniversalPyro
03-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I have a interview Monday at 10AM with ATF for the liscense. i will keep the forum on how it goes. Im sure it will be fine.

shellshocker
03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Not speculative at all. Sure they are not going to say they don't like. They will use the catch 22 "your not likely to abide by the law" 555.71.

If you purchased my video and are trying to get your ATF license do not listen to people on this forum telling you what appears to be conjecture about you being denied. Most of these anecdotal stories are purely speculative. The ATF can not deny you “For any reason they want” . That makes it sound like they can deny you for no reason. They actually need a really dam good reason why you should not have it and the need that reason in less than 90 days after you apply. And do not call and talk to them on the phone because when you ask them questions you get a different answer every time. You may not even be talking to an inspector. You do exactly what I instruct in the video and complete the application and submit the material. When you submit the application is when the real story starts. I hear from people all the time that tell me they now have their fireworks license to purchase 1.3. Items and never thought it possible. If they deny you, you will get your money back anyway. And if you did something wrong on the applications they may even help you along to do it correctly.

Dave displayfireworks1

If you need help applying for a license to purchase 1.3 fireworks please consider my instructional video.
http://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

displayfireworks1
03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
ShellShocker it looks like you live right in my backyard, have I met you at a shoot and do you have your ATF License? You can easily get your license to purchase 1.3 fireworks unless you have a criminal record. You really should not project all this negativity about the 1.3 license but somehow I suspect you were denied the license for some reason. Were you denied the license?

shellshocker
03-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Dave, yes I'm pretty close to your backyard and yes we have met before and yes I have my 54 and no I have not been denied. My comments are not intended to be negative about the 1.3 license. I apologize if that is how it is coming off. They are actually meant to help these guys that truely want to get their own license and do things the legal way. Your right, getting a license is relatively easy, however there is a lot of stuff you find out along the way that isn't in any book. The 100 mile radius is not speculative, that is their rule, at least that has been what has been explained to me. I would hate to see someone go through all the work and then get denied because their storage agreement is to far away. Hope that clears some of this up.

ShellShocker it looks like you live right in my backyard, have I met you at a shoot and do you have your ATF License? You can easily get your license to purchase 1.3 fireworks unless you have a criminal record. You really should not project all this negativity about the 1.3 license but somehow I suspect you were denied the license for some reason. Were you denied the license?

Pyro Nation
03-28-2011, 06:36 AM
You are correct Shell. There is nothing in the book in terms of distance and the Agent told me that during my interview, but in her same sentence she said they want 100 Mile or less for storage. So, guess it is one of those unwritten rules.

displayfireworks1
03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I explain some of that in my video, however it may not necessarily be written anywhere. I know people that have their 1.3 fireworks license that told me they knew they were over this talked about distance but still applied and received their 1.3 license.
Without naming names, but my good friend in Indiana told me when the ATF tells you these things you should always follow up with “Can you please show me where it says that in the book”? Unless someone out there can produce, an official denial letter stating their contingency is too far away I get reports that say otherwise. Now watch someone does not talk to you to convince YOU to deny yourself by signing a paper to close your application and you then believe “They” denied you but in fact, YOU denied yourself.
If someone out there was denied a 1.3 fireworks license because of a contingency distance issue, please email to in private to show me the official letter stating that. Do not comment on the forums. Please do not tell me about what they told you or a phone call, I want to see an official letter that says you submitted a contingency plan that is not approved because of a distance issue. Please use my non advertising email listed on the pyrotalk.com website. I would advise anyone wanting to get this license to obtain the required material I talk about in the video and submit it as best you can, complete the entire process, do not call anyone, go through the entire interview procedure and wait for the official LETTER of APPROVAL or DENIAL. If denied you can always get your money back and if necessary apply again with what is needed the second time.

Dave displayfireworks1

UniversalPyro
03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I just want to say that i had my interview today! Everything went well and no problems. The gentlemen said that i should have my license within 30 days. It took about 2 hours. This will be a great year for the forth and other times.

Pyro Nation
03-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Congrats Universal. Doors are open now..lol

pyro76
03-28-2011, 08:27 PM
congrats...let the fun begin...lol

DLux3888
03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I sent my application in on March 21st. I'm hoping to have it by the 4th of July. Is it true that the ATF has 90 days to approve or deny your application? Or is that just an average of how long it takes?

Pyro Nation
03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
No they have 90 days to approve or deny, it seems though they are getting things completed quite fast right now. Slow time of year for them in this aspect

DLux3888
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
No they have 90 days to approve or deny, it seems though they are getting things completed quite fast right now. Slow time of year for them in this aspect

I'm surprised that this is a slow time of year for them. If they have 3 months too approve an application, you would think that people would want to get their applications in the start of the new year. That way they would have it buy the 4th of July.

Pyro Nation
03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
They received mine on January 20th, I got my interview on Feb 9th, and received my License in the mail on Feb 26th. So, was pretty fast

DLux3888
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
They received mine on January 20th, I got my interview on Feb 9th, and received my License in the mail on Feb 26th. So, was pretty fast

WOW! I'm jealous!

Pyro Nation
03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
lol,,,U may get this as well. Only time will tell

DLux3888
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Fingers crossed. I'll be sure to post a time line. If it wasn't for Dave's video, it would of taken me A LOT longer to fill out the application.

$23 very well spent.

Big Oh Oh
03-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Can someone post the link to the video so I don't have to read through all these silly posts?

DLux3888
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
ATF Video (http://www.pyrotalk.com/shopping.php)

A little diligence can go a long way...