PDA

View Full Version : Formula for White Lances

PyroJoeNEPA
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey guys--I am looking for a formula for a white lance that is not extremely bright like the Magnesium /Magnalium comps & that doesn't emit a lot of sparks. I am building an American Flag set piece for this year & don't want the white lances washing out the colors of the red & blue like you so often see. I have the red & blue comps worked out--they are a sawdust & vaseline based mixture similar to a highway flare--burn with a nice steady color without a lot of "spitting" going on.
Anyone have any suggestions for a "soft white" comp you could share?

NightHawkInLight
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
You're probably going to want a non metallic fueled comp then. Here a few comps cut from cannonfuses' database:

White fire composition #1
Source: "Mengen en Roeren"[6], page 223.
Comments:
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................24
Sulfur............................................ 7
Charcoal.......................................... 1

White fire composition #2
Comments:
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................7
Sulfur............................................ 2
Powdered antimony.................................1

White fire composition #3
Comments:
Preparation:

Potassium perchlorate.............................7
Barium nitrate....................................34
Sulfur............................................ 7
Powderd Aluminum..................................10

White fire composition #1
Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Composition from "Magic With Chemistry"[7], chapter "colored fires"
Comments:
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................6
Sb2S3............................................. 1
Sulfur............................................ 1

White star #6
Source: rec.pyrotechnics
Comments:
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................59
Sulfur............................................ 30
Meal powder.......................................11

White star #8
Source: "The Pyroguide" (a document found on internet)
Comments: Bind with dextrin in water
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................6
Sulfur............................................ 1
Antimony sulfide..................................2

White star #9
Source: rec.pyrotechnics, posted by Tommy Hakomaki <tommy.hakomaki@mailbox.swipnet.se.
Comments:
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................42
Sulfur............................................ 18
Mealpowder........................................ 18

White star #10
Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Post by Erik D. Suni <esuni@lk-hp-26.hut.fi. Composition from "The best of AFN II"[14].
Comments: Meal powder priming should be sufficient.
Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................28
Antinony sulfide..................................6
Sulfur............................................ 8
Dextrin........................................... 1.5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would try a few of the BP type comps first. The one thing is if you use a high sulfur content comp at ground level you want to be sure it's a fair distance from the audience. The smoke is pretty fierce on the sinuses.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much! I don't have any Antimony Sulfide right now..but I will order some. I will try the other comps this weekend.

whitepyro
03-27-2011, 04:34 AM
doesnt number 3 make green, since barium burns white by itself but when a chlorate is added eg potassium perchlorate it burns green?

Ralph
03-27-2011, 05:40 AM
doesnt number 3 make green, since barium burns white by itself but when a chlorate is added eg potassium perchlorate it burns green?

some misinformed people people say that perchlorate is a chlorine donor under normal circumstances it most certainly is not. most metal salts specturms are cleared up by the addition of chlorine (rather than emmiting a random spectrum they begin to only emit their discrete specific spectrum) also chlorate and perchlorate are very different the manner in which the chlorate ion is decomposed allows the chlorine to be lost with out to much effort were as the perchlorate ion behaves very differently

whitepyro
03-27-2011, 11:49 PM
ok sorry bout it mr chemist

Ralph
03-31-2011, 02:00 AM
lol NEVER apologise for wanting to learn something a thirst for knowledge is the single greatest thing a person could have and not being afraid to question what your told with your own logic is great also. I was just expressing my frustration at those that have miss taught it and explaining how it dose work :)

PyroJoeNEPA
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
OK guys-here's the test results so far: I haven't received my Antimony Sulfide yet, but tried the other comps this weekend. Comp 1 was on the difficult side to light compared to the others, but had a nice flame. Comp 3 was hot--too bright. I did a second test & lowered the sulfur to 5 & the aluminum to 7. This was a nicer burn! Seems like a keeper! Comp 6 looked nice but had a little too much sparking for what I wanted it for, & Comp 9 looked nice, but too much fumes from the sulfur!!!So. until I get to try the Antimony Sulfide comps, my pic is Comp 3 with the slight sulfur/aluminum reduction.
Any more suggestions are appreciated & thanks again NightHawkInLight for the formulae. And Ralph, thanks for all the posts you have submitted steering people to safe practices.