PDA

View Full Version : hello from ohio ( and thanks Dave)

btyree
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
no more technical difficulties seems to be working . thanks for the help Dave.

displayfireworks1
02-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the pyrotalk discussion forums. If anyone reading this is having trouble registering for the forums please send me an email to pyrotalk@gmail.com and give me the username you are trying to register with . People appear to be having trouble returning the confirmation email once they register. When you register please use a valid email account. Did anyone currently registered experience this and how did they work around it.

wpman321
02-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Welcome! tell us a little about your self.

btyree
02-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Hello pyrotalk,
I live in north east Ohio (Trumbull County). I have been putting on firework displays at my house for 4 years, everything at the 1.4 level. Even without any 1.3 level fireworks I manage to put on a safe and enjoyable show. I would love to obtain a type 54 licenses, however Ohio is very strict about professional fireworks being used by non-licensed exhibiters. This year will be my first year using an electric firing system. I will be purchasing a Cobra Firing System. Which will be awesome because this year I will be able to see my own fireworks display rather than waking up the next morning with a hangover asking my wife “how was the fireworks?”

Glasscitypyro
02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
as far as I know 1.3 in ohio you can buy any 1.3 product as long as u have your atf license. You can also shoot 1.3 product in ohio with a permit from the county, city, or twnshp. in ohio to shoot fireworks comercially u would need your lead shooters permit for just the backyard everyday hobby you dont.

btyree
02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
so i dont need a permit to shoot 1.3 in my backyard? wow nice to know thanks.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
as far as I know 1.3 in ohio you can buy any 1.3 product as long as u have your atf license. You can also shoot 1.3 product in ohio with a permit from the county, city, or twnshp. in ohio to shoot fireworks commercially u would need your lead shooters permit for just the backyard everyday hobby you dont.
He didn't say you could shoot in your back yard--or anywhere else for that matter--without a permit. I suggest you go to the ATF web site & look through the "Orange Book" rules & regs posted online. Last thing you want it to be hauled off your property in hand cuffs! Sounds like you need a permit.
Anyone with a 54 from Ohio--feel free to jump in & clarify this.
And--welcome to the Forum! Wow--I like multi-colored posts. Reminds me of stained glass shells...but that is another story.

displayfireworks1
02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Classic communication error.
Happens frequently between doctors and patients, and husband and wife. LOL
If you have an ATF license and a fireworks permit you are doing at least two things correctly. I think the word “Backyard” may be throwing some people off. The word “Backyard” makes people think of a small yard in a residential neighborhood. Now here comes this guy shooting six inch shells.
Having an ATF Type 54 fireworks license does not exempt you from using good judgment; you still have to pick the proper product for the proper venue and clearances. Similar to having a Drivers License or Concealed Carry Permit does not give you permission to drive fast and shoot your gun out of the car window.
This “Exhibitors License” thing in Ohio is the subject of much mystery and speculation. Getting the ATF Type 54 license in any state in United States is not contingent upon any state license or certifications. I hear from people in Ohio all the time I helped get their ATF license; they tell me they are shooting displays for their own private enjoyment and not for profit. I am still trying to search for an instance when someone with an ATF Type 54 was cited for shooting a nonprofit display without a state of Ohio Exhibitors License. I have not found one yet.
The fact that you have a “Fireworks Permit” is a good think, if the wording on the permit does not specify “Consumer Fireworks” and just uses the word “Fireworks”, that can also be used in your favor. Prior to the Federal Government take over of explosives in 2003, I used to get a “Fireworks Permit” and this would allow me to purchase all the 1.4 and 1.3 fireworks I wanted. Sometimes people in fireworks operate in gray areas. So they are no guarantees.

crackerbomb
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
You can not shoot 1.3 or 1.4 fireworks in Ohio without a permit. The permit can be obtained but there are a ton of hoops you need to go through.

jknepp1954
02-27-2013, 07:45 AM
You can not shoot 1.3 or 1.4 fireworks in Ohio without a permit. The permit can be obtained but there are a ton of hoops you need to go through.
That is what I thought as well.
Actually - i think REGARDLESS of which state you live in - you need some type of permitting process for 1.3.

btyree
02-27-2013, 09:04 AM
ORC:3743.65 Possession, sale and use restrictions.

(A) No person shall possess fireworks in this state or shall possess for sale or sell fireworks in this state, except a licensed manufacturer of fireworks as authorized by sections 3743.02 to 3743.08 of the Revised Code, a licensed wholesaler of fireworks as authorized by sections 3743.15 to 3743.21 of the Revised Code, a shipping permit holder as authorized by section 3743.40 of the Revised Code, an out-of-state resident as authorized by section 3743.44 of the Revised Code, a resident of this state as authorized by section 3743.45 of the Revised Code, or a licensed exhibitor of fireworks as authorized by sections 3743.50 to 3743.55 of the Revised Code, and except as provided in section 3743.80 of the Revised Code.

(B) Except as provided in section 3743.80 of the Revised Code and except for licensed exhibitors of fireworks authorized to conduct a fireworks exhibition pursuant to sections 3743.50 to 3743.55 of the Revised Code, no person shall discharge, ignite, or explode any fireworks in this state.

(C) No person shall use in a theater or public hall, what is technically known as fireworks showers, or a mixture containing potassium chlorate and sulphur.

(D) No person shall sell fireworks of any kind to a person under eighteen years of age. No person under eighteen years of age shall enter a fireworks sales showroom unless that person is accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible adult. No person under eighteen years of age shall touch or possess fireworks on a licensed premises without the consent of the licensee. A licensee may eject any person from a licensed premises that is in any way disruptive to the safe operation of the premises.

(E) No person, other than a licensed manufacturer, licensed wholesaler, licensed exhibitor, or shipping permit holder, shall possess 1.3 G fireworks in this state.

(F) Except as otherwise provided in division (J) of section 3743.06 and division (K) of section 3743.19 of the Revised Code, no person shall knowingly disable a fire suppression system as defined in section 3781.108 of the Revised Code on the premises of a fireworks plant of a licensed manufacturer of fireworks or on the premises of the business operations of a licensed wholesaler of fireworks.

btyree
02-27-2013, 09:07 AM
After doing some research I found this, Ohio Revised Code. It sounds like I might need a licenses.

Or does this only pertain to someone who is putting on a public show for profit?

btyree
02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I think a lot has to do with the local law enforcement agencies. I live out in the country and I am surrounded by woods and farm land. I have been shooting off fireworks for 4 years in my backyard. I shoot a lot of fireworks every year upwards to the tune of $2000.00 worth of 1.4 fireworks. I have never had a problem. I’m usually done by 2300-2330 and have never had a neighbor complain. I always invite them over out of courtesy. Not once have the police came to my house to shut down my display. Being this as it is I’ll probably get my type 54. I don’t have any intensions to discharge anything bigger than a 3” shell, and I’m on 14 acres of property. So I’m not really worried about my local PD showing up with a warrant for my arrest.

What concerns me is the record keeping of the seller. If the ATF were to look at my distributers sales records they would see that 1.3 fireworks were sold to me. Then I would have to somehow prove that I discharged these things legally.

crackerbomb
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
I think a lot has to do with the local law enforcement agencies. I live out in the country and I am surrounded by woods and farm land. I have been shooting off fireworks for 4 years in my backyard. I shoot a lot of fireworks every year upwards to the tune of $2000.00 worth of 1.4 fireworks. I have never had a problem. I’m usually done by 2300-2330 and have never had a neighbor complain. I always invite them over out of courtesy. Not once have the police came to my house to shut down my display. Being this as it is I’ll probably get my type 54. I don’t have any intensions to discharge anything bigger than a 3” shell, and I’m on 14 acres of property. So I’m not really worried about my local PD showing up with a warrant for my arrest.

What concerns me is the record keeping of the seller. If the ATF were to look at my distributers sales records they would see that 1.3 fireworks were sold to me. Then I would have to somehow prove that I discharged these things legally.

Yes, your local police has a lot to do with it. Most wont bother with you unless they have a complaint. I never had an issue with the police. They pulled the cruiser over last year and watched the show and never said a word...lol In my opinion if you are going to plan on shooting 1.3 in Ohio you better get your permits because there is a paper trail. If you do shoot the 1.3 I promise you will be asked by the ATF were you shot them and your permits that you had. If you just shoot them you just made Bubbas day because he just got a new girlfriend...lol