PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Pyro here

Rhogue23
01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi Dave and other fellow pyros. I have been shooting fireworks for as long as I can remember and have been doing a couple shows a year for friends and family. My big show each year is around the fourth just like everyone else at my dads house in Johnstown pa. I just got my type 54 last fall. I have been watching Dave's videos and love the setup and behind the scenes point of view. I am looking to get in with a company to shoot more shows. Does anyone know the best way to go about becoming a pyro technician for a display company. I registered for pyrotechnicos certification course on April 20th and was hoping to get in with them.

PyroManiacs
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Hi Rhogue, Welcome to PyroTalk...

Basically this is what Pyrotecnico told me...

"Our training and safety seminars are free of costs/fees and are held on Saturdays. We hold our training and safety seminars in the spring of each year, in the cities we have facilities. Around January-March of each year we begin planning those seminars. Once your registration form has been received, you will be emailed to confirm you are listed to attend.
The training and safety seminar does not certify anyone to become a licensed pyrotechnician/CDL HazMat endorsed driver. It simply reviews the safety regulations and requirements that Pyrotecnico must adhere to via the ATF and DOT. Company policies and procedures are also reviewed during this 8 hour seminar. Weather permitting, we will hold a live fireworks display, in which you may have a hand in helping to fire. While the seminar doesn’t certify/license you, it will direct you to the avenues you must take in order to receive your pyrotechnician certification/CDL license, as every state requires something different to become a certified/licensed pyrotechnician (also referred to as ‘shooter’ or ‘tech’).
During your process of becoming a certified/licensed pyrotechnician, you will be used as an assistant/helper to our current lead pyrotechnicians. Once you have gained the proper certification/licensing and Pyrotecnico feels you are ready, you will then become a lead pyrotechnician – meaning you are the in-charge pyrotechnician on site and will be responsible for you and your crew to correctly and safely set up for the fireworks/special effects display you are doing, as well as firing the display off and completely cleaning/searching the site once the display has been completed."

PyroJoeNEPA
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
You may want to look into taking the PGI Safety Certification course as well. Kellners will offer it in April. Here's the info:

2013 DEMOS and SEMINARS
INFORMATION and REGISTRATION
478 Old Route 8 (Wesley) • Harrisville, PA 16038
Toll Free: 800-458-6000 • Phone: 814-786-7995 • Fax: 814-786-7254 • Email: info@kellfire.com
WWW.KELLFIRE.COM
Space is limited on all seminars and pre-registration is required.

THURSDAY, MAY 2nd
9:00AM The Pyrotechnics Guild International “Display Fireworks Shooters Certification”
A full day course presented by The Pennsylvania Pyro Artists Club. Learn the basics of safe display fireworks exhibiting-includes hand firing, electrical firing and using pyrotechnics before a proximate audience. The fee for this course is $89.00 per person and includes a certificate of attendance, T-shirt and text book. This course will be held at the Clintonville Volunteer Fire Hall, 185 Emlenton Street, Clintonville, Pa 16372.

SATURDAY, MAY 4th
9:00AM The Pyrotechnics Guild International “Display Fireworks Shooters Certification”
A full day course presented by The Pennsylvania Pyro Artists Club. Learn the basics of safe display fireworks exhibiting- includes hand firing, electrical firing and using pyrotechnics before a proximate audience. The fee for this course is $89.00 per person and includes a certificate of attendance, T-shirt and text book. This course will be held at the Clintonville Volunteer Fire Hall, 185 Emlenton Street, Clintonville, Pa 16372.

jknepp1954
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
I just now noticed - this year they are switching from the Grange hall to Clintonville firehall?
I wonder if switching times like that messed it up for getting the grange hall...

Westpapyro
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi fellow pittsburgher, welcome to the forum. We may meet at that class in april?

bweaver1985
02-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi Rhogue, Welcome to PyroTalk...

Basically this is what Pyrotecnico told me...

"Our training and safety seminars are free of costs/fees and are held on Saturdays. We hold our training and safety seminars in the spring of each year, in the cities we have facilities. Around January-March of each year we begin planning those seminars. Once your registration form has been received, you will be emailed to confirm you are listed to attend.
The training and safety seminar does not certify anyone to become a licensed pyrotechnician/CDL HazMat endorsed driver. It simply reviews the safety regulations and requirements that Pyrotecnico must adhere to via the ATF and DOT. Company policies and procedures are also reviewed during this 8 hour seminar. Weather permitting, we will hold a live fireworks display, in which you may have a hand in helping to fire. While the seminar doesn’t certify/license you, it will direct you to the avenues you must take in order to receive your pyrotechnician certification/CDL license, as every state requires something different to become a certified/licensed pyrotechnician (also referred to as ‘shooter’ or ‘tech’).
During your process of becoming a certified/licensed pyrotechnician, you will be used as an assistant/helper to our current lead pyrotechnicians. Once you have gained the proper certification/licensing and Pyrotecnico feels you are ready, you will then become a lead pyrotechnician – meaning you are the in-charge pyrotechnician on site and will be responsible for you and your crew to correctly and safely set up for the fireworks/special effects display you are doing, as well as firing the display off and completely cleaning/searching the site once the display has been completed."

Pyrotecnico Will pay for you to get your CDL/Hazmat if you shoot shows for them. They were going to pay for mine until I backed out of getting my CDL. After you pass your exam they will pay for it including the physical, and they will even rent you a CDL truck if needed for your exam.

PyroManiacs
02-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Pyrotecnico Will pay for you to get your CDL/Hazmat if you shoot shows for them. They were going to pay for mine until I backed out of getting my CDL. After you pass your exam they will pay for it including the physical, and they will even rent you a CDL truck if needed for your exam.

Do you have to get it in order to shoot for them, or is that just an option?

Pyro Nation
02-05-2013, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your goals

Rhogue23
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the information. I think I may still attend and also go up to the certification PGI is having at Kellners in May.

bweaver1985
02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Do you have to get it in order to shoot for them, or is that just an option?

CDL is not required to work for pyrotecnico.

PyroManiacs
02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Okay good. thanks for the info!

displayfireworks1
02-05-2013, 07:17 PM
If you want to make yourself more desirable to a display fireworks company I would recommend getting a Commercial Drivers License with Hazmat endorsement. You can do the on the road test in a regular automobile. I did mine years ago in my car. The examiner will take you on the road and tell you to drive as if you have a load of explosives on the vehicle. Here is Pennsylvania you will get a Class C CDL H endorsement. The Budget Trucks commonly used by fireworks companies are somehow classified that a regular automobile license is good enough to drive them. I heard they classify the truck this way so they can be rented without special licensure to the average
Joe. Recently here in Pennsylvania, you have to be fingerprinted and background checked. The only problem you may have with the Class C CDL is you may not drive a truck with air brakes. You will be good to go on the regular Budget trucks.

bweaver1985
02-05-2013, 07:40 PM
In Florida Also you need a Air brake Endorsement