PDA

View Full Version : wood for building racks

TitaniumsalTDI
03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
dave posted a video a while back about going to the local chain hardware stores and buying scrap wood for rack and project building. Does anyone know if all of them hardware stores sell scrap wood or do you have to request it?

shellshocker
03-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Most of them will. Home Depot does for sure. Stop by any construction site and speak with the job foreman. You'll find all the scrap you want.

fogle22
03-10-2011, 10:09 PM
They likely try to get you to purchase their "scrap" as a discounted price. If I remember correctly, the scrap was not for building racks, it was for making boards.

PyroMike79
03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Most all of your major chain stores, Home Depot, Lowe's and Menards especially will have a scrap wood section near the back of the store. I doubt you would want to use this as a means to build racks-the pieces are generally gonna be a lot of mix and match cast offs. Good material but you would need to be very lucky to find enough lumber to really wanna start building racks with it. What you CAN find, however, is plywood for cake boards. You can save a ton of money buying your sheets that way. I always make it a habit to hit the back of my local Menards store whenever I stop in.

Ralph
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
shipping pallets make good rack building materials

Pyro Nation
03-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Hmmmm.... Didnt think of that Ralph.. Thanks

shellshocker
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
They likely try to get you to purchase their "scrap" as a discounted price. If I remember correctly, the scrap was not for building racks, it was for making boards.

I believe the tread is called wood for building racks. As a project manager I can tell you it cost me about $400.00 per dumpster. I throw a ton of 2xs away, plywood, osb, etc. I have a lot of guys that come by and ask if I mind if they take what I put in the dumpster. I'm more than happy to get rid of it for free.They actually save me money. I never hurts to ask.

nrubmx
03-11-2011, 05:57 PM
***an add on to Ralph, most hardware stores will have extra pallets and they usuall will give them to you for free.

Ralph
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
***an add on to Ralph, most hardware stores will have extra pallets and they usuall will give them to you for free.

yeah thats why I mentioned it almost anyone can get their hands on a perfectly good pallet or one with 1 broken plank for free

Palermitano2
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
find a local company that imports granite for countertops. The wood they use for shippig is perfect and they pay to have it hauled away so they would give it up.....

EddieD
08-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Another place to get good scrap is a mobile home manufacturer. One near me gives me scarp by the 4x4x4ft boxfuls for my wood burner. Many times they have decent lengths of 2x4 material in them as well as many other various sizes.

PyroManiacs
08-31-2012, 06:24 PM
find a local company that imports granite for countertops. The wood they use for shippig is perfect and they pay to have it hauled away so they would give it up.....

Thanks for that info.... There is a quarry 10 minutes from my house!

Backyard Pyro
09-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Most of them will. Home Depot does for sure. Stop by any construction site and speak with the job foreman. You'll find all the scrap you want.

I've found craigslist to be pretty helpful with carpenters, contractors, ect. just looking to clean their jobsite. They usually let you take it for free.

PyroManiacs
09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Today I found a small gold mine....

After finishing a job and driving our work truck back to the garage, there was a loading dock bay being cleaned out along the warehouse complex front with a forty foot dumpster sitting in front of the loading dock of another company. As we passed the dumpster something caught my eye. As I did a double take, and then realized what it was...... 10 BRAND NEW pallets standing on end like books next to each other, in line to be thrown in dumpster. They are mine tomorrow!!

I find things I need when Im not looking, and cant find things when I AM looking!