PDA

View Full Version : Blue Aluminum Break Charge?

displayfireworks1
10-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Here is an interesting question I received from Norway on my youtube channel. The writer apparently translated the message so forgive the spelling errors. I am not an expert on building fireworks but my experience has been flash type compositions are not the best to use for break charges. The question is in regard to Blue Aluminum. If you are new to my videos, I will include my video on Blue Aluminum. This new Aluminum is marketed as an alternative to traditional flash aluminums. The chief marketing feature of Blue Aluminum is it safety. If anyone has experience this new aluminum perhaps they can comment. My initial thoughts on this are to enhance a traditional break charge with flash aluminum rather than replace it.
Hi.

I am a 43 years old "pyrotechnian" man from Norway.

I bay my chemicals from Nitroparis in Spain, and my plastic shell halfs from
Plasticos gamon in Spain.

I have a couple of thousends plastic ball shell left.

Last year I have a bid acident with using flash powder as breaking charge in my plastic shells, and
I was in hospital for 2 months......so because of this I have stop using flash powder (aluminium and perchlorate)

So my question is :

How is it to mix Blue aluminium and potassium perchlorate, and use it for bursting charge in plastic shells ?

Will I have the same result as dark aluminium / potassium perchlorate ?

How safe / unsafe is using blue aluminium instead of dark aluminium compare to black powder bursting charge ?

regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbjbwzGIsaA
Her er et interessant spørsmål jeg fikk fra Norge på min youtube kanal. Forfatteren tilsynelatende oversatt meldingen så tilgi skrivefeil. Jeg er ikke en ekspert på å bygge fyrverkeri, men min erfaring er Flash Type komposisjoner er ikke den beste å bruke for pause kostnader. Spørsmålet er i forhold til blå Aluminum. Hvis du er ny på mine videoer, vil jeg inkludere videoen min på blå aluminium. Denne nye Aluminum er markedsført som et alternativ til tradisjonelle flash aluminums. Sjefen markedsføring funksjon i blå Aluminium er det sikkerhet. Hvis noen har erfaring denne nye aluminium kanskje de kan kommentere. Mine første tanker om dette er å forsterke en tradisjonell pause kostnad med flash aluminium stedet erstatte den.
Hei.

Jeg er en 43 år gammel "pyrotechnian" mann fra Norge.

Jeg Bay min kjemikalier fra Nitroparis i Spania, og mine plast shell halfs fra
Plasticos Gamon i Spania.

Jeg har et par thousends plast ball shell igjen.

I fjor jeg har et bud acident med å bruke flash pulver som bryte kostnad i mine plast skjell, og
Jeg var på sykehuset i to måneder ...... det på grunn av dette har jeg slutte å bruke blits pulver (aluminium og perklorat)

Så mitt spørsmål er:

Hvordan er det å blande blå aluminium og kalium perklorat, og bruke den for sprengladning i plast skjell?

Vil jeg ha samme resultat som mørk aluminium / kalium perklorat?

Hvor trygt / utrygt bruker blå aluminium i stedet for mørk aluminium i forhold til svartkrutt sprengladning?

PyroMonkey
10-04-2012, 11:49 PM
It is my understanding that flash powder made with blue aluminum is difficult to light (hence, its safety rating). I have heard that salutes made with blue aluminum flash need to be initiated with a small charge of standard flash powder around the spolette/time fuse. This may not be true, and I have no experience with this myself. With regard to using it for break charge... one would have to experiment to see. The BP may be sufficient to kick-start the flash.

Another alternative would be to use a slow flash booster. One example would be a formula that uses KNO3, sulfur, and dark (or bright) aluminum. Much less sensitive than KClO4 flash, but still pops a shell open nicely when dusted onto the rice hulls. Bill Ofca also has published a slow flash formula which I have seen used with good success.

copper acetoarsenite
10-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Yes, I fully agree go with slowflash...Ned Gorski..explains how on the skylighter website
a lot of experimentation would have to be done...to expand the applications of blue aluminum..many, man hours of research...only a few tests have been done there are hundreds of possible tests with explosives...:-D

copper acetoarsenite
10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
...and I really want to emphasize that the reason..I'm writing about 'flash here is the first place..is to stop people from being two-months in the ICU!!!! like that gentleman from norway..much of the safety discussion apply more to commercial operations with 10 lbs batches of flash..not to the hobbiest...as you all can see from the above 'flash' is no joke..even the 'safe flash'...there are strict rules and protocols to follow...same for whistle...I used to make 'picrate whistles, as I've synthesized picric acide..it's very easy to make that stuff...when I loaded my whistle units into a small shell once..the whole thing blew up, like dynamite-steel pipe mortar destroyed!!!!...Ned Gorski explains what hobbiests should be doing for the most part..he gives us safe methods to work with whistle...I don't have a huge ego I'm not fully of myself, I don't think I'm the ace of the base, but I'm not asking you all I'm just telling you!!!

chris v
04-30-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't know if that would actually work but either way it is a perchlorate or a chlorate mixed in with your bp coated media which is better off staying away from

chris v
04-30-2013, 09:31 PM
That's the reason why manufacturers use slow flash which is a nitrate or a flash bag which is separated from the bp and attached to the spollette or time fuse

smilli
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Im not an experienced builder but i know the hemi's from Plasticos Gamon are high Quality, good job using those!