PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NY

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Hello...I'm from NY and I really love fireworks, as much techicalities as i know I still find them magical...I'm a biologist and chemist who's studied them extensively, I've been reading Shimizu/Brock/Lancaster/Davis etc...since I was very young and used to build them..I have since stopped...but I always keep learning...the reason I really took a second major in chemistry was to better understand fireworks and explosives...I think they are both great arts...having also studied high explosive detonics engineering/high explosives...I must say the fireworks are the most difficult field in all of explosives period!! HMX is easy double pettaled peonies very difficult!!!

my biggest disapointment in fireworks/explosives is the proliferation of 'kewls' that cast a dim light on this great art

Thankyou

Pyro Nation
09-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome.. Sorry to hear you are from NY, though I was born and raise in Auburn NY

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Thankyou pyrolific for the warm welcome...indeed NY is a police state with zero regards for the bill of rights in general...in the 80s and 90s the cops looked the other way with 1.4g devices...luckily I have friends to visit in SC so I can light a few fuses...lol funny enough the cops don't notice all of the rich with 6 and 8 inch shells...which as I know from my early mistakes and malfunctions are not to be taken lightly...I don't do such foolishness

Ironically it took me three or four weeks to build three or four 5 or 6 inch shells whereas 150grams of most HE was an 8hr or less synthesis and the next day I could make the iniatiators...after being caught by the NY bomb squad at 15 I stopped HE synthesis but continued with fireworks for some years afterwards...I enjoy Mr. Desafey's youtube presentations very much and that's what prompted me to join,as I've picked up a great deal of info on the display side of the business, The pyrotechnist's community seems very warm and welcoming...

just in case you're wondering why so long to build small shells...well I had to make everything the charcoal, the BP for lift and burst [boosted] the hemispheres, the time fuse, black/quick match, plus I hand rolled my stars in a wooden bowl and drying time was a large factor...and with my [Shimizu's] techniques I allowed the shell to dry between paper aplications and reinforced the time fuse every three layers or so...I also built cylindrical shells up to four inches and three breaks, gerbs and mines with my excess stars...I've seen many methods on the web in recent years from the various masters, but when I leave ny and can build legally I think I'll resume with my way as it has proven very reliable for me...I'm not trying to boast in any way but i am just trying to convey my love for fireworks-which I began doing at 11 yrs old HE at 13...I no longer do either, of course but the passion and love I have for them never left...he who hath smelt the smoke and all...lol

Stay Green...:-)

matandch
09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
The Crackerjacks has an active building community and many notable builders from the East Coast attend many of our events. Contact me off list if you want more specific information.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the Forum. You have already posted some interesting reading!

displayfireworks1
09-22-2012, 09:57 PM
I was not sure what copper acetoarsenite was so I looked up. It is Paris Green a chemical used for blue in fireworks. Thank you for registering and being part of the forums. If you are from New York we have to get you over to Kellners Fireworks annual demo nights in April of next year to meet a few of the rocket shell builders.
If you have some experience in making fireworks please feel free to comment in the “Fireworks Manufacturing” section. I know they are many people experimenting with fireworks manufacturing and may have questions so it would be nice to have a knowledgeable person help them along. I know some people that are making their own fireworks are nervous about commenting. I would like to think we could talk about fireworks manufacturing on pyrotalk and still maintain some degree of anonymity if needed.

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 10:17 PM
PyroJoeNEPA...thankyou for your welcome...I just can't help it as I generally don't have many people to talk to about this stuff, I guess I got carried away

DisplayFireworks1 I am a big fan of your youtube channel ...I've learned a great deal of practical information from you especially in regards to electrical firing, and display set up...I would love to see those rockets live as they are just incredible, I appreciate the labor, and love his feel for timing...whoever that man is he's a true master indeed...although I'm not currently making fireworks I enjoy seeing the different ideas put forth by people and of course if my earlier experience makes it safer for someone else, I'm more than happy to help...I'm still learning things too, although there are a rather limited numbers of effects the ways in which they combine makes fireworks limitless...I understand that people with this addiction will experiement...I'm not judgemental of that that would be -pot-kettle-black..lol but as I've stopped I can't get in any trouble...so I'm an open book...fireworks are just magic
once again I'd like to thank everyone for their warm welcome of me to the forum

Neil...:-D

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 10:44 PM
I would just like to clarify two things...my definition of a 'kewl' and why I get upset at the 1.3g use in NY...as I don't want to appear hypocritical or judgemental
to me a 'kewl' is a psychopath who uses explosives to damage property or hurt people or animals...I used to blow up thing with high explosives, but it wasn't property nor did I hurt animals or people...so I guess by that definition I myself was 'kewl'...blowing up a tree stump or making a salute is NOT 'kewl' to me, tying a salute to a dog or blowing up someone's car is what I really mean by 'kewl'

as far as the illegal 1.3g it's not that it's illegal that upsets me it the callous disregard for safety of others, that gets to me...by the close proximity to the audience and other houses etc...I used to make 1.3g so saying someone shouldn't have them is pot-kettle-black----but, even at a young age I considered other's safety---and somehow I also survived., lol...I didn't mean to come off as judgemental in anyway...I hope my position and definitions are clearer

jknepp1954
09-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Copper (Neil) - Welcome to Pyro Talk. You sound like a very interesting person to be around.
Kewl - I will have to be careful how I use that word from now on - I always use it as a sub for this "COOL"! LMAO!

copper acetoarsenite
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Jknepp1954 I've seen you in some of Dave's videos likewise you seem like a very interesting person to get to know---anyone with such a passion for fireworks is a star in my book---you seem like a real firecracker...lol
Thankyou for the kind words

Maybe I should change the word 'kewl' to 'Krewl' hehehe
:o