PDA

View Full Version : Indiana type54

indianahx
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
First of all, I would like to start out this little thread by saying that I purchased the type 54 videos from dave quite awhile back and have been taking my sweet time doing some research on product and such to make sure it was worth it for me to even go this route. Today, I got all of my paperwork together, fingerprint card, and photo. As of now I am just waiting on the contingency storage part to fall together (as I posted in another thread).

This thread I wanted to ask, in a sense, about the basic procedure AFTER receiving the license.......

First, I've seen a few posts on here for particular states and instances about insurance. Once I obtain my type54 license, to shoot a "HOBBYIST" show (as Dave, i think, would put it) would I need to purchase some sort of insurance? I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND ( and i do mean COMPLETELY) that I can shoot 1.4 in my backyard whenever I want (and believe me, I shoot weekly). But what I'm interested in is doing what dave suggested: doing a 1.4 show and finishing or adding salutes in the mix and a few 1.3 cakes for example. Just the fact that adding the 1.3 into the equation is what I'm basically trying to decode here.

Second, and this might just be strictly for the Indianapolis area or INDIANA residents (but of course i know more will respond)....what is the procedure for doing such a shoot as i mentioned above? Meaning, do i need to pull a permit? call the fire marshall for approval? ect.......

Here is one scenario, in particular, that I am looking to find specifics about. My neighborhood association does a shoot for the 4th across one of the neigborhood retention ponds where everyone is on one side with food, music, ect. and fireworks are set up on the other side. Last year, I was able to get quite a bit of 1.4 from the store I work at. NOW, if I wanted to add some 1.3 cakes into the mix, and say add a few salutes and tunderkings to the finale, what is that going to do to the whole setup? is THAT something I would need to get a permit for? insurance? approval?

KEEP IN MIND NONE, ABSOLUTELY, NONE OF THIS WILL BE DONE FOR ANY MONEY OR ANY KIND OF PROFIT

I, myself, am definitely planning on asking the ATF agent specifically about this whenever I get my interview just so i can get a specific answer as to how it relates to MY scenario and my area, but I would LOVE to see any and all related information regarding any of this. Thanks guys and sorry for such a lengthy post....

displayfireworks1
03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
It sounds like you have already been shooting fireworks at this event and everything seems fine and all the people are happy. Finish the steps and get the license and just add a few 1.3 items to enhance the show. Do not ask the ATF all those questions about insurance etc. Their job is to see if you qualify to purchase fireworks not to see if you are competent to shoot them or insurance etc. Some guys that purchased my How to Get Your Fireworks License video watch it one time, do what I instructed them to do, apply for the license and have it within a short time. Other people understand the concept but never carry through on it or over think it. The license gives you permission to purchase 1.3 fireworks and transport them. It is not the job of the 1.3 fireworks dealer to be sure you have permission; he wants to be sure you have the license and sign the paper, the rest is up to you, it is not his responsibility. He wants to make a legal sale to you and he can do it if you have the license. Most people find places and events to shoot their fireworks once they purchase them.