PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Netherlands

Vavoom
07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Also a shout-out from the Netherlands.
Like most of you, I've already been following Dave's Video Channel for some time. A few months ago he kindly asked me to subscribe to this forum. A request I just couldn't refuse. Although I don't have much spare time, I will try to make some nice contributions here from time to time.

To save myself some time I copied my "biography" below.
If you don't like to read all of that...be sure to check out my picture gallery. I think you'll like it. It mainly contains pics from festivals I visited in Spain, Italy, Malta and France (with a few non-pyro pics from my local environment): http://maurice76.hyves.nl/fotos

Regards,
Maurice

Biography
According to my parents, I was already interested in fire when being a little kid. Growing up this turned into an interest or better yet fascination for fireworks. Most kids get over this fascination by the years, but not me. In high school my favourite subject was chemistry (of course) and my dream was to start my own fireworks factory (which resulted in almost every adult thinking I was crazy). When I went to university internet became available, where I saw my theories confirmed and which made my quest for more knowledge easier.

I can't deny I've been doing some "pyro-experiments" during high school and university. The things I tried, I did after at least 2 years of reading, reading and reading. Have never been mixing any chemicals, although I knew how to and especially what NOT to. I didn't want to mess with that stuff, because of the danger involved. And knew that even IF I could make a star or a composition, I could still mess up all that work with a poorly constructed container of some sort. Therefore my main interest became and still is construction techniques (of shells).

Nowadays, after the voice of the mind conquered the voice of the heart, I have a degree in Environmental Biotechnology, but haven't lost my passion for pyro for one bit. On the contrary! I got to admire the craftsmenship and the historical backgrounds even more. Hence, my frequent visits to Italy, Spain, Malta, etc.. Although my DIY-days belong to the past, I've been working as a licensed pyro for a display company since 1999.

displayfireworks1
07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Maurice

Thank you for joining the pyrotalk forums. I always say I am a lucky man to have fireworks enthusiast from around the world follow my youtube channel. I welcome people from the around the world to join my website. This is the way I designed it. You have an excellent portfolio of pictures for us to look at. I can tell you are a very articulate young man I look forward to your future post.
I am curious is that you in the picture standing next to a large mortar in Italy wearing a purple stripped shirt?

Dave displayfireworks1

nitro25
07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Maurice,

Welcome to pyrotalk!! Back in 1929, my mothers family decided to move from Leiden to the USA. I actually have more relatives on her side in the Netherlands than here in Michigan.

Scott

nitro25
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Another great reason for facebook, I can stay in touch a lot easier with them.

Pyro-T
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
And a warm welcome from a Dutchmen too!

pyros
08-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Ciao Maurizio!

With the internet the world is really small indeed :)

Salut!
Alex

PYRO-PODO
08-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Hello and welcome.

Vavoom
08-05-2012, 07:03 AM
@all: thanks for the warm welcome :)
@Dave-displayfireworks1: thanks for the compliments. And yep, that's me in that picture. Now you have a face to go with my name.
@nitro25: that's cool to hear, Scott. It's a small world ("pyros" beat me to that comment. haha). Even smaller thanks to the internet and FB. Indeed a great way to stay in touch over long distances :)
@pyros: Ciao Alessandro! Small world indeed. Now we're corresponding through a forum in the USA. Compared to the distance this text is travelling, you could even say we live close to each other. Hahaha!

Pyro-T
08-06-2012, 05:01 AM
With me in between Germany and the Ducth westcoast. ;-)

Salut!
Theo.

laquil
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Hell From Malta Welcome

Vavoom
08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
With me in between Germany and the Ducth westcoast. ;-)

Salut!
Theo.

Don't tell me you're also known as T-sec :o

Pyro Nation
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the Forum Vavoom. Look forward to hearing your experiences and seeing some vids from ya!!

Pyro-T
08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Don't tell me you're also known as T-sec :o

What happends at PT stays at PT ;-)