PDA

View Full Version : Safe and going Insane in Illinois

kgfireworks
07-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and posting from the Chicago Area, IL. Been watching Dave's videos for a year now, and like many of you, are inspired to take this hobby up a notch every day. Happy to be amongst a family of pyros to share ideas and learn from.

I do have a question right off the bat, and maybe someone could direct me to the proper subforum to ask it. -To those who have worked in display fireworks, what can I do as a trainee shooter to make it more likely that I get hired more often. What are you looking for in a trainee that would make you think of them next time you need help on a shoot.

Thanks guys,
Nick

pyroshaun
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
hello and welcome i have been doing the same what u should do is go to the pgi shooters course in laport indiana u need to register by aug 1st i have done that and i have contacted a few display comp in my area asked if i could help to get exp and they let me help and last sat i light the whole show it was fun and now i am on the crew just b persistent and when u talk to them its like an interview they dont want no crazys and its better to call them e mails just get pushed aside

kgfireworks
07-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for that advice. I'm am signed up for the fall shooters course with melrose pyrotechnics out here in the Chicago suburbs, and have been emailing to see if they have any shows they need help with. Maybe I'll give a call like you mentioned. It's great that you have been able to break into the business. I look forward to seeing your posts about your experiences and how much you are learning.