PDA

View Full Version : Racks

UniversalPyro
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Can you get plans to make your own mortar racks if you buy the tubes? if so...where?

Pyro Nation
03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I believe they can be found. I do remember seeing them. I usually go off from pictures of what racks I have seen and just built them that way

St1dinoh
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
your best bet is just to lay 12 tubes out on a table and build from there, you don't even need a tape measure if you do it right.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5646/rackwithoutrails.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7328/rackwithrails.jpg

1 blue
2 red
4 green
20 screws
construction adhesive or gorilla glue for the joints

build the frame in the first pic out of dimensional 2x lumber, and use whatever you want for the side rails.

just make sure your bottom rails are below the top of the plugs.

the reason for this is so that if you do have a blowout, the venting can't damage your bottom rail, it blows right over top of it.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Just my two cents worth: Since we are in the 1.3 section I assume you are using larger than 1.4 [1.75 consumer shells] mortars? If so, I've seen an unwritten guideline that says the number of guns minus the diameter of the gun equals ten. IE: 6-4", 5-5", 4-6" are easily transportable. Seems like 3" end up in racks of 8-10-12--not always matching finale strings. Bottom line is you can put as many tubes in a rack as you want.
I prefer smaller racks screwed together--my bad back seems to be happier with that, too. There are lots of pics posted of different style racks people have built. Check some of the videos Dave has posted of different events he was at. He does a great job of showing you all the "behind the scenes & setup" stuff!!! I can't cut straight with a table saw [hehehe] but I can build my own racks so be encouraged--it's not a difficult task.

UniversalPyro
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I will follow the guidelines of how many to a rack. I can look at the ones in the video, but just thought someone might have measurements. Thanks though for the input on everything.

MidNight
05-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Can i do the same just with 4inch and 6inch tubes? with spacers

Palermitano2
05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
I went to Home Cheepo armed with measurements they cut a sheet of plywood up exactly the way i needed it also some 2x6is then i went home and screwed everything together had a forty shot rack and a fanned 60 done in 2 hrs.... My 1 word of advice be careful for the weight. my 60 shot weighs 80 lbs empty. after this year I might add weels or I will make 2 out of it. It is an awesome rack though....

PyroJoeNEPA
05-27-2011, 10:12 AM
What size tubes did you make them for?

Palermitano2
05-28-2011, 07:58 AM
I bought Dr11's from a very very inexpensive source that does not advertise here yet.

Hector
06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I can't cut straight with a table saw [hehehe] but I can build my own racks so be encouraged--it's not a difficult task.

That's why they invented the rip fence. hahaha

PyroJoeNEPA
06-02-2011, 12:01 PM
That's why they invented the rip fence. hahaha

That's precisely why I can't cut straight. The thing is so worn out it jiggles more than a---oh, no, I won't finish that line! ROFL --30 year old Sears table saw. But in all seriousness, I really can cut straight with it [most of the time].