PDA

View Full Version : type 54 in ohio

TitaniumsalTDI
03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
just wondering if anyone out there in ohio has gotten their type 54 and what difference if any was there during the interview? I do have contingency storage with kellners as i live on the ohio/pa border less than 45 mins from their facility, was curious to know. thanks for the input!

Catfish25p2000
03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I have heard storage is the big problem in Ohio, so if you already have contigency storage, the hard part is probably over. Just do the application and send it in. ATF will tell you if you have other things you need to do before they will issue a permit. Good luck and keep us posted.

TitaniumsalTDI
03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
has anyone had any issues with a permit being issued in ohio?

St1dinoh
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
has anyone had any issues with a permit being issued in ohio?

being in ohio should not matter if you already have verifiable contingency storage. the issue ohioans have is getting the contingency storage in the first place because there is a limited number of storage facilities in state, a moratorium on new storage permits, and therefore many permitted storage locations will not offer contingency storage to others (why risk it?).

you are dealing %100 with the ATF at this point.

they will want to verify your storage, and from there they will grant you your type 54.

but contrary to popular belief, storage doesn't grant you the ability to shoot the 1.3 you would then be able to purchase.

with that 54 in hand, you still need to jump through a ton of hoops to become a licensed shooter in ohio, and it's one of the worst states to deal with for becoming a shooter. apprenticeship shoots, supervised leads, letters of recommendation from licensed shooters, classes in columbus, etc... etc... etc...

it's not fun, but it's doable if you can afford it and are willing to put in the time.

all of this is to the best of my knowledge, i could very well be wrong, your best bet is to get the official word directly from the SFM office in columbus. in other words, don't take my word for it, get the official answers from the officials.