PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing fireworks in PA

EddieD
07-15-2012, 05:10 PM
If I get my ATF license, do I still need to show my local permit to buy Class C fireworks in PA or does having an ATF license suffice?

indianahx
07-16-2012, 11:22 AM
ATF has nothing to do with class C.....

displayfireworks1
07-16-2012, 11:34 AM
My experience has been that while the ATF has no concern with 1.4 items, it can be advantageous to have the ATF license to purchase 1.4 fireworks. All the people I buy 1.4 fireworks from in Pennsylvania sell to me based on the fact that I am licensed. I do not need permits to buy any fireworks.
Be careful what advice you give people. In addition, as for you Eddie D what are waiting for to get your ATF license? You live in my home state, if you need help consider purchasing my DVD/application package.

Boub
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
I also have found that every consumer store that I have gone into in PA has sold to me on Type 54 alone.

EddieD
07-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. After some thought I decided that for the $100 I'll get my license and then hopefully make the right connections to have the opportunity to learn about and use the bigger stuff.

Pyro Nation
07-16-2012, 08:24 PM
I cant say every store has, there are a few that even though I had the 54 didnt care. They wanted to see a permit. Though most opened there arms and said heres a price list..lol

coachtimmyj
07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
While some stores may sell to you based on the fact you have an ATF license, they would be fined if caught doing so. No store may sell consumer fireworks to a PA resident without said resident having applied for and received a display permit from their local township (or another township in which they plan to shoot). As another stated above, the ATF has nothing to do with consumer fireworks and has no authority over anything doing with consumer fireworks, including sales and discharge. Of course, as others have stated, some stores will look the other way I guess, but that does not mean it was legal to do so. Also, keep in mind, even if you are able to purchase, it does not mean you can legally discharge them without having that permit. Long story short, if you want to stay legal, you must obtain a permit from your local township. Really isn't that hard to do though, can't see why anyone wouldn't just get one, unless they do not have the proper distances to be approved.

indianahx
07-16-2012, 09:40 PM
:::::this is taken straight off of Kneppys Fireworks Retail page::::::::::

"ATTENTION PA. residents: Certain items that explode and/or fly into the air will only be sold if he/she has a local permit issued by your local authorities (boro or twp). That is the law. Also, you must be 18 years old to buy fireworks. We have the local permit applications available. Click HERE For Permit Application"

Notice what I bolded for emphasis....

So, EddieD....as to your original post, yes, you ***SHOULD*** have to show your permit. But as the coach said above, some will turn you away and others will not.

displayfireworks1
07-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Sounds pretty Pyro U in here all of a sudden. LOL
The advantages of having an ATF license in some form will open many opportunities for you to expand into fireworks. I do not think there is a district attorney in Pennsylvania or any other state that would attempt to prosecute a case of a retailer selling a case of 1.4 artillery shells to a Federally Licensed User of Fireworks aka Type 54. I would continue to pursue attempting to get your ATF Type 54 and you will be able to buy all the fireworks you want.
As far as permits, even large fireworks companies like Zambelli, Grucci , Pyrotechnico etc. still needs permits to shoot fireworks, but you only need a permit if one if required, but that is a whole other story.

jknepp1954
07-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Tim pretty much nailed it on the head. For PA - a permit is always required unless you get it in writing from AHJ that none is required - NEVER take the say so on this issue from the AHJ - always have it in writing.
EXAMPLE - back before I joined any clubs one of the club members told a story of a club shoot that the state police was called and a permit was NOT issued. However one the members was also a twp supervisor in the twp were club shoot was held. When question by officer, he explained to officer that this was his property, and he is twp supervisor for that twp and "their twp didn't need a permit" as they had no rules for it. The officer stood their and argued with them for quite some time. If the officer wanted to he had every right to issue a citation. but he did not - but he did make them STOP as they had no permit.
PA law REQUIRES at ALL TIMES that a permit be issued - i know sounds confusing - but that is how it is....

PyroJoeNEPA
07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
------thankful I don't live in New York!!!!!

EddieD
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'll make sure I take a permit along in case they want to see it. And yes I understand that I should have my permit in order to shoot my stuff off.

EddieD
07-17-2012, 09:04 PM
P.S. I will be submitting my 54 permit request shortly. Have the app filled out except for the magazine info but Zach at IPI said he'll help me out with that. Took care of the fingerprint card and just need to get the photo attached. Hope to maybe meet some of you soon over the summer and enjoy a shoot or two.