PDA

View Full Version : Michigan New Fireworks law

displayfireworks1
07-13-2012, 11:42 PM
From the video it appears consumer fireworks are only legal certain holidays. I assumed it was all year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0l9P1X5ySg

Minishow
07-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Ok here is how this whole big mess was explained to me from a reasonably credible source: the state has repealed the fireworks law but given the local township the authority to develope anti firework ordinances, however, these ordinances developed by each township would be null and void on the list of specified days (before, of, and after) within certain hours. So if your township has made an ordinance (most already have) then you're out of luck. But some townships havenot and only enforce disturbance of the piece ordinances, so the mood of the officer determines if you will get a citation or not.

Starxplor
07-14-2012, 02:05 PM
The original law:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/htm/2011-PA-0256.htm

Also, it is so annoying how almost no news sites include a link to the actual text of a law they report on. With how much they all just copy and repeat each other, it is nice to have the actual law linked to. I will look for the law with changes after work tonight.

Starxplor
07-15-2012, 05:41 AM
The only changes I found were in the penalties, so this law is how it stands in general at this point.
For those who do not want to read the whole law, this is the relevant part:

Sec. 7. (1) Except as provided in this act, a local unit of government shall not enact or enforce an ordinance, code, or regulation pertaining to or in any manner regulating the sale, display, storage, transportation, or distribution of fireworks regulated under this act.

(2) A local unit of government may enact an ordinance regulating the ignition, discharge, and use of consumer fireworks. However, an ordinance enacted under this subsection shall not regulate the use of consumer fireworks on the day preceding, the day of, or the day after a national holiday.

By default, this means use of fireworks are legal 365 days per year, unless a local ordinance is put in place otherwise. As an example, we did our show on the Saturday after the 4th, in Alpena, with no issues (or neighbors to complain for that matter).

nitro25
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I was also told by a few of my officer friends that their departments have been told to not even go to a fireworks call unless it was after 1 am. They just don't have the man power to go to all the calls. According to them as well, the number of complaints has gone down drastically after the 4th, just as they figured it would. People were excited to finally be able to exercise their free right to light fireworks off and a lot of cities freaked out and went on the offensive to ban them. I call this the stupid act!! Too many people are stupid and only want to complain about others rights.

Starxplor
07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
One of the problems is people lighting the large, I assume 1.3, shots that rattle houses up and down the whole blocks. The local police are inept and/or devious and claim "all fireworks are legal now, go complain to the state." I know from experience this particular city police department is full of idiots, but it is hard to believe they actually think ALL fireworks are legal.
Has anyone had success dealing with the local police about people setting off things in populated urban/suburan areas that really shouldnt be?

I am glad we had already planned to go to the northern lower peninsula for our shoot this year.