PDA

View Full Version : More San Diego

displayfireworks1
07-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Check this San Diego video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVhgq1yHdA&feature=related

Minishow
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Imagine how it would have been if just one rack blew apart... yikes!

PyroManiacs
07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
i like the comment made... " this was the best fireworks show ever!!"

displayfireworks1
07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
This situation in San Diego still has me intrigued. Please note this is not just one barge, this is three separate locations running independent computers and all three sites went all at once. Did anyone hear was this a FireOne system? They all had to received time code prior to the display. I know most computerized display I was involved in usually have a lead in time before the shells start to shoot. What would cause all three locations to go into an all fire situation? Anyone get any updates on the cause of this?

Robertlopez
07-14-2012, 01:28 AM
isn't there encryption's in these firing systems to stop accidental firing form a not authorized source like same ones else's fireone system? from what it looks like it might be also one company might be firing three different shows but some one forgot to un-sync all of their equipment. who knows havent really studied the fireone system yet but plan to in the coming mouths

Robertlopez
07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
it also takes letting it rip it to a whole new level

here is a website on this event

http://www.bigbayboom.com/

SummitPyro
07-14-2012, 09:27 AM
This situation in San Diego still has me intrigued. Please note this is not just one barge, this is three separate locations running independent computers and all three sites went all at once. Did anyone hear was this a FireOne system? They all had to received time code prior to the display. I know most computerized display I was involved in usually have a lead in time before the shells start to shoot. What would cause all three locations to go into an all fire situation? Anyone get any updates on the cause of this?

Yes...it was a FireOne system. Here are some highlights from the joint press release along with a link to the article.

"But here's the problem, as Garden State describes it: Under normal circumstances, a master file includes timecodes and instructions for the fireworks. A backup is made. Then those two files are merged into a new file — one that includes a primary set of instructions for the computers, and one that provides a redundant, secondary set. That secondary set should still be understood by the computers as a backup, only to be used if the primary instructions aren't received in time.

On July 4, because of what Garden State called an "unintentional additional procedural step," the new file didn't form that way, it says. Instead, the file had twice as many primary instructions as it was supposed to — which means twice as many fireworks firings as it was supposed to. One set of instructions told the computers to set off all the fireworks at once; the next set outlined the show the way it was supposed to be, only there were no fireworks left for the computers to direct.

"The command code was initiated, and the 'new' file did exactly what it 'thought' it was supposed to do," Garden State says in its news release.

That explanation may not be the easiest to understand, but Garden State says it's the result of a thorough forensic examination.

"Contrary to numerous opinions and theories, the simultaneous ignition was not due to any sabotage or massive computer hardware failure," it says.

Dan Barker, a manager of FireOne, which provided Garden State with equipment, saw the release a few hours before it went public Wednesday. His company, based in State College, Pa., had worked with Garden State to identify the issue.

"I think you'll find our equipment did exactly what it was supposed to do," he said."

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2...thought_t.html

displayfireworks1
07-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you for that post and link. We may need someone in the computer industry to explain to us how this happened. I can understand it with one computer and position but all five positions going at the same time that is too bizarre.

Goldfish19
07-14-2012, 11:43 PM
I would've jumped in the water if I was on that boat! ;)

Robertlopez
07-15-2012, 01:31 AM
the more i watch this video and seeing the faces on some people the more i think some one segest a repeat next year some people where really enjoying it.

dave ,
i think they beat that the finally on Muse Fireworks 2012 show especially on the loudness factor :cool:

Starxplor
07-15-2012, 05:48 AM
It sounds like they have one central computer controlling all positions. This would make sense from a stand point of simplifying the synchronization, but if the central controlling computer received a command that said 'fire all shots' it would cause all shots, in all positions, to go up.
The problem seems to be the file that was fed to the computers. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the last command in the list is to fire everything, to catch anything that didn't go during the planned routine. If this command ended up first in the routine file fed to the computers, we would see something like this.
Alternatively, someone could have just made a giant mistake and put the wrong code for the wrong command in the list and it survived any auditing they do. We will probably never know for sure unless we find someone on the inside of this particular event, who is willing and legally able to discuss it.

PyroManiacs
07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I used to do IT and Computer Admistration stuff in the Army, and that sounds like a really good possibility.

coachtimmyj
07-16-2012, 08:49 PM
For those interested, yes, the show was shot with FireOne. Without throwing anyone under the bus here, the "problem" was the .fir file had every cue listed as 00:00:00 for the fire time. Probably happened on the export somehow (I've seen some weird things happen during exportation of the .fir file) and no one caught it. The show was loaded into the main panel which was fired via time code fed back from the radio station. The second tc started, every cue fired. Personally, this is the main reason I use a laptop in conjunction with the FireLite so I can actually see the script prior to the show firing, as well as shut down individual modules in the event of an emergency (rack blown, wind change, etc). Bottom line is, this is a problem which should have been detected and the reason Garden State is giving them a free show and not Dan Barker (like he said, the system did as it was told).

displayfireworks1
02-25-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm bringing back this thread from 2012 because it appears the following video was just release Feb 2, 2014. I am curious did this 2012 "Event" have an effect on funding for Big Bay Boom in San Diego?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHAEBmkSKoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklPM_j-348

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Icliq0MNf4
http://kfmb.images.worldnow.com/images/22748318_SA.jpg

PGH_Pyro
02-26-2014, 12:54 AM
hackers sabotaged it ?