PDA

View Full Version : New to Pyro Forums

fogle22
03-04-2011, 10:53 PM
This may stir some sh!t, but so be it.

I'm not new to pyros, but I am new to the pyro forums. I've learns a great deal from Dave's videos and posts on Pyro U. I am also a new member on Pyro U and I've never had a bad experience on that forum.

That said, on Pyro U, if a "newbie" asks a question that is common knowledge to a pyro hobbyist, they are all but crucified. They tell the newb to do research before coming on the forum and asking such a question.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you should try to find the answer to your question before asking someone; however, is this not what the forum is for? To learn and share knowledge?

If you don't want to answer their question, leave the thread. Don't berate someone because they ask a question that offends your "pyro sensibility". At one point, everyone was new in this hobby we love.

I only raise this issue hoping we never get to that point on this forum.

BigMO
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Amen! folge22

lonny
03-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Whats wrong with a little research.

Its when they have no desire to do so when they get those comments.Also if a person cannot take a little constructive criticism he/she has more to learn than just about Pyro

Its also in the forum rules.To search before posting on something that has probably been talked about 100's of times on there.

Of course this site is different ask on.

fatcat
03-04-2011, 11:18 PM
I concur F22. I hope some of the lurkers from the other websight read and heed

fogle22
03-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Whats wrong with a little research.

Its when they have no desire to do so when they get those comments.Also if a person cannot take a little constructive criticism he/she has more to learn than just about Pyro

Its also in the forum rules.To search before posting on something that has probably been talked about 100's of times on there.

Of course this site is different ask on.

I agree that you should do some research, but being new to a forum and navagating through the site can some time leave you without an answer.

Again, it's not like the new member was trying to piss people off. They have, to them, a legit question. If another member does not want to answer, move on to another thread. Otherwise, help a fellow hobbyist with their question. That 30 seconds of answer someone's question did not take away from the other member's life.

I saw a new member ask what NOAB meant. You would have through they asked everyone to post their annual income. Google NOAB and see what you get. It will likely direct you to Pyro U where the new member feels like they had a rectle exam from Shaquille O'Neal.

fogle22
03-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Let me make this clear...this is not a thread to bash Pyro U. I've learned a great deal from the member on that site, long before becoming a member.

furor
03-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Too many pyro elitist snobs and safety nazi's on the U. Even if you do a search, the subject was probably talked about years ago then you get bashed for necroing an old thread even though you did the right thing. Don't get me wrong, the U is a great site and I love being a part of it, however, I don't post there much due to the aforementioned. Pyrotalk seems to be much more inviting, so far.

californiapyro
03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I couldnt agree more! i always try to answer all the "noob" questions, because I remember when I was one of them and no one would answer my questions, and I nearly lost a finger trying to make whistle mix in a mortar and pestle. ask away beginners!

$/\/\0|<E
03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
You guys are just to much .................

I don't disagree with asking questions but I do agree you should do some research before asking . Most people are just to lazy to do so . What bothers me is the stupid questions . These questions you will all see very soon beginning probably early - mid June . This site will flood with retards pretty much asking you to sell them dynamite or how to make your own HIGHLY ILLEGAL flash crackers ... Those type of questions are the reason a nub gets the third degree .......

Over there they just want you to prove you're not an idiot . I don't see anything wrong with that

fogle22
03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
These questions you will all see very soon beginning probably early - mid June . This site will flood with retards pretty much asking you to sell them dynamite or how to make your own HIGHLY ILLEGAL flash crackers ... Those type of questions are the reason a nub gets the third degree .......

You'll get no argument from me for ripping someone asking these questions. The way you said this was freak'n hilarious!!

Catfish25p2000
03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Fogle22, its funny you start this thread on here. I did a quick little search on your post and started threads on Pyro U and saw that you have never been treated like that at all on there. http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?32129-Mortars-for-Finale-Rack&highlight=fogle22 This is a thread you started on a question that has been asked and answered many times on Pyro U. I did a quick search on "Double break" mortars that quickly returned 89 threads that contained the works "double" and "break" on Pyro U. I'm sure your answer is there many times over, yet no one flamed you or even made reference to you needing to use the search function. In fact, the members not only listed a bunch of shell brands and kits of good double break shells, but also provided you with video containing double break shells. You will see on both this site and Pyro U that once April comes along you will start seeing hundreds of useless threads started by people asking questions that have been answered a hundred times in many different forms just because they didn't want to use the search function. These threads take up space and are a waste of time and energy. If people read the rules like you are supposed to when you register for the site, you will see that is clearly says to use the search function before asking a question. I agree with you that I don't like to see people getting flamed for no reason either, but the odds are if someone points out the search function after you ask a question that has been answered a hundred time before, you will use it the next time you have a question to ask.

lonny
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I couldnt agree more! i always try to answer all the "noob" questions, because I remember when I was one of them and no one would answer my questions, and I nearly lost a finger trying to make whistle mix in a mortar and pestle. ask away beginners!

I hope you were not on the U asking this.You would have def got flamed on.

And for that exact reason.Nobody wants somebody to get hurt because so and so website said to do it this way or killed for that matter.

fogle22
03-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Fogle22, its funny you start this thread on here. I did a quick little search on your post and started threads on Pyro U and saw that you have never been treated like that at all on there. http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?32129-Mortars-for-Finale-Rack&highlight=fogle22 This is a thread you started on a question that has been asked and answered many times on Pyro U. I did a quick search on "Double break" mortars that quickly returned 89 threads that contained the works "double" and "break" on Pyro U. I'm sure your answer is there many times over, yet no one flamed you or even made reference to you needing to use the search function. In fact, the members not only listed a bunch of shell brands and kits of good double break shells, but also provided you with video containing double break shells. You will see on both this site and Pyro U that once April comes along you will start seeing hundreds of useless threads started by people asking questions that have been answered a hundred times in many different forms just because they didn't want to use the search function. These threads take up space and are a waste of time and energy. If people read the rules like you are supposed to when you register for the site, you will see that is clearly says to use the search function before asking a question. I agree with you that I don't like to see people getting flamed for no reason either, but the odds are if someone points out the search function after you ask a question that has been answered a hundred time before, you will use it the next time you have a question to ask.

This is the 2nd line in my original post: "I'm not new to pyros, but I am new to the pyro forums. I've learns a great deal from Dave's videos and posts on Pyro U. I am also a new member on Pyro U and I've never had a bad experience on that forum." I repeatedly said my thread was not meant to slam Pyro U. I recently joined Pyro U and enjoy the site. I know your a long time member (2007) and I knew I would take some heat for this thread, because my intentions would be misinterpreted.

Regarding my post on Pyro U, your assuming that my answer is somewhere in the 89 threads. I did a search as well, being that you where calling out on this. There are actually 466 matches to the words "double" and "break". Before my post on Pyro U, I looked at every thread posted in 2010, that seemed on subject. If you look over the matching threads, several are completely off subject or they were several years old making the information outdated. After spending hours (not an exaggeration) looking through threads and searching websites and youtube, I posted the question and got a very favorable response. That said, before I ever posted on Pyro U, I read a few posts from new member where they were flamed and hesitate to post my question.

I'm far from established on Pyro U, such as yourself, but is that how you want new member to feel? That question is the whole intent of my thread.

Catfish25p2000
03-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Sorry man, I was harsh with my reply. I'm just a pyro like yourself looking to learn all I can from these websites. I don't like to see new members get flamed either, although sometimes a little nudge toward the search function can help. The time I have been a member on Pyro U certainly doesn't mean I know anything more than anyone else about anything, just that I registered earlier. You will start seeing all the goofy threads here real soon on both sites. Again, I'm sorry for the earlier post, it was not necessary, and didn't add anything to the thread. Have a safe season!