PDA

View Full Version : Disgruntled in Missouri

mrmikemartin
06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
I just got my Type 54 so I can purchase 1.3g Display Fireworks.
I am strictly a hobbyist.
It's now my understanding that I will also need a shooters permit from the state of Missouri in order to discharge the 1.3g fireworks I can legally purchase.
Where is live is very rural and 1.4g is legal to purchase and discharge without any special permits or licensing.
What I can't understand is if the Missouri permit is for business only or is it for everyone.
Has anyone on here encountered this before?
I currently have a letter in for the Missouri State Firemarshall's office for clarification.
If a permit is required in addition to my type 54 I'm going to question if all this additional expense is really worth it. $100 for the Federal license, $50 to renew. Then $100 for a shooters permit, $50 to renew.
If I were doing this for business\profit it would be another matter. But, as a hobbyist, things are starting to add up really quick.

Mike

indianahx
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
And therein lies what you haven't been told about the process.

To clarify, the type 54 licesnse does ONLY two things: it allows you to purchase 1.3 fireworks, and it allows you to store 1.3 fireworks in a manner consistent with ATF language.

Look through your atf website or any of the gobs of paperwork you already have. Nowhere does it state you are now allowed to SHOOT 1.3 fireworks just because you have a fancy license. It plainly ables you to do the two things stated: purchase and store.

Now, having said that, the same thing that is more or less happening to you in MO applies here in Indiana. Getting theicense is step one. Now if I want to shoot, I have to have a permit from the state ($70 one time use), minimum of $10k in liability unless your AHJ says gimme more, and also have to have shoot site approved by AHJ, and you have to submit a shooter's resume with your permit application. They don't care if you're doing a "private" show in your secluded farm house or if you want to do a show in your neighborhood. Either way, if you send up 1 single 1.3 shell, in Indiana it is considered a "public" display and requires the permit process.

Sucks? Yes it does. Did I realistically think I would be doing 3" or bigger in the backyard.....no way!
My best advice is to get involved with a club. I was on the fence as well and have since joined the HPA. Now I get to go out usually once a month and fire 1.3 till I'm blue in the face. I'll take that trade off any day.

Hope that shed some insight into the fact that its not just you....good luck!

mrmikemartin
06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
You are very right. I received an email from our state firemarshall with an attachment that has the instructions and the form for a shooters permit.
They said to discharge any 1.3, and it doesn't matter if I'm a hobbyist or not, I have to have the permit. Uhg!
Well I did go to shooters school this year and have my 3 shoots in and the form filled out from the shoots.
The problem is, in Missouri, they want you to take a test. This would require me to go to Jefferson City which is on the exact other side of the state.
They don't have any scheduled testing on the St. Louis side of the state for the rest of the year.
I guess I'll wait till the next schedule comes out and go do my test when it's scheduled a little closer to home.
I have already contacted a club. I guess if I want to shoot 1.3 it'll be at club only shoots.
What bothers me most is the whole reason I got my Type 54 was so I could add a little extra umph at the end of my 4th of July display.
This has been quite a let down.

indianahx
06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I do hear ya.....just wait till the club shoots. I've felt a pretty good sense of "brotherhood" at hpa AND you get to light 1.3g. Trust me, it's not a total let down. Keep the good faith!