PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your Racks!

PKMF
03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

$/\/\0|<E
03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Seems like a lot of wasted space on that 32 . Nice racks though

$/\/\0|<E
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
It's actually 4 individual 8 shot racks that I use to shoot mines in a fan. Looks sick when you match all the mines to fire at the same time. Looks lite a wall of fire when I spread the 4 racks across a front.

Here is a better picture of the finished product.

Ahhh ok, still nice racks . That would look nice with some CA's

wifeorfireworks
03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
just put my order in for 50 tubes. You gave me alot of good ideas thanks.

BigBang87
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Talking about racks.....Does anyone know where to get some cheap motars I what to make some more racks for some upcoming shows.

NormanNormal
03-03-2011, 10:47 PM
It's actually 4 individual 8 shot racks that I use to shoot mines in a fan. Looks sick when you match all the mines to fire at the same time. Looks lite a wall of fire when I spread the 4 racks across a front.

Here is a better picture of the finished product.

i LOVE your mine racks! I am planning something similar for my show this year using a sequencer. I have a question for you though. Since we are not on PU I figure this would be a good place to ask. How are you matching your CA mines to get simultaneous ignition? Are you pulling the visco and directly matching the lift and then putting all the matches on the same que? Or do you replace the slow visco with quickmatch and chain them together?

My plan was to replace the visco with fast paper fuse then attach a plastic ematch port, insert it in the field, and then attach it right to the top of the mine. I am leary on direct matching the lift on shells/mines due to the possibility of an accident.

Thanks in advance.

Pyro Nation
03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I have used a couple different ones. One is pyroboom as PKMF has listed, but also pyrodirect

http://www.pyrodirect.com

formally was pyro gear.

NormanNormal
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I have used a couple different ones. One is pyroboom as PKMF has listed, but also pyrodirect

http://www.pyrodirect.com

formally was pyro gear.

Yeah I've used Pyro Direct they are great

BigMO
03-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I love the title of this post!!!

cracker
03-04-2011, 12:21 AM
why PM? I want to here any answers to his question, I need to know too....

NormanNormal
03-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I am more than happy to answer any questions you have. Safety is my number one concern and that's why I like to PM. It helps me get an idea if you know enough about fireworks, fusing, matching, e-firing and other things in order to achieve the task safely. No offense, and I am not saying you are one of these people but there are those out there that should not play with fireworks. We read about them all the time in the news. That's why I PM.

Your PM's are full. :)

BigBang87
03-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Ok thansk everyone Ill take a look at the sites you said. and get some motars ordered.

indianahx
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
pyrodirect is where i get my mortars from.....VERY cheap in comparison to others and very well built. not to mention you get a bigger discount the more cases you buy at once (50 in a case). highly reccommend.

on a note, i have 3 single rackes of 16 right now, plan on building at least onother 5 or 10 this spring with angled (fanned) racks in the mix as well. will try to get pictures of them soon. built mine with all 1x3 material (overkill, but it looks good and is ridiculously sturdy) and used 1/2 inch rebar posts to secure

NormanNormal
03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Uhh, 1x3 material certainly is NOT overkill. In fact it's not recommended I have seen high end consumer canisters turn 1x into sharp flying debris over 50' from the deflagration. The best modern rack designs combine 2x, plywood and osb rails.

How would you rate the 20 and 30 shot racks that pyro direct sells? They seem high quality..

Pyro Nation
03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
How would you rate the 20 and 30 shot racks that pyro direct sells? They seem high quality..

I been using racks from pyro direct for a long time. 3 - 4 shows a yr using them. Never had a issue with there quality

Palermitano2
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I got my tubes at Pyroboom by far the least expensive and perfectly made. Eric the owner is a great guy.

That_Fireworkguy
03-06-2011, 10:53 PM
i would use R & T pyrotechnics out of the chicago area.......great prices and a great company to deal with they are at all the major
pyro functions for the most part and you wont find a nice guy to deal with than Rick

pyrodude
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Whats up with this thread?? I don't get the OP????

firecrackersam
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
If you need tubes go with PyroBoom.com. I've purchased from PyroDirect as well, and while they weren't bad, they weren't great either. PyroBoom is run by Eric Alma, and he has a great business model and great product. Best HDPE tubes out there as far as I'm concerned.

tgis81
03-08-2011, 03:33 AM
Whats up with this thread?? I don't get the OP????

I agree... It seems, by what is written in the SUBJECT of the thread, the original poster wanted to see people's rack designs, which is why I was interested in the thread. Although I didn't get the first actual post either... However, the subject of this thread has been hijacked (unintentionally I'm sure) and turned into a thread about tubes rather than pictures of people's racks.

I think the thread should be locked and/or moved to a different thread entitled "mortar tubes" because the current discussion (although it contains good info on tubes and companies) is surely not pictures of people's racks as the OP seemed to have started the thread for.

Ralph
03-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Getting back to the original topic
heres a rack I made complete with legs, spacers and match hooks to secure your ematch to rather than having to put holes in your guns
designed with an open body and no supports in the approximate area were a shell would be allowing for most the force to be dissipated rather than being applied to the rack (a rack designed like this should suffer only minimal damage (posibly not usable afterworlds but less likely to have sent rack pieces every were) even if a salute were to malfunction)
http://pyrobin.com/files/img_0312.jpg

St1dinoh
03-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Getting back to the original topic
heres a rack I made complete with legs, spacers and match hooks to secure your ematch to rather than having to put holes in your guns
designed with an open body and no supports in the approximate area were a shell would be allowing for most the force to be dissipated rather than being applied to the rack (a rack designed like this should suffer only minimal damage (posibly not usable afterworlds but less likely to have sent rack pieces every were) even if a salute were to malfunction)

it's hard to tell from the picture but if you lower the top of that bottom rail to just below the top of the plugs you eliminate the potential of a blowout transferring energy into the side rails.

Ralph
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
it's hard to tell from the picture but if you lower the top of that bottom rail to just below the top of the plugs you eliminate the potential of a blowout transferring energy into the side rails.

thats what I was saying the top of the side rails comes up only 11mm above the top of the end plug so the actuall shell begins above the side rails

St1dinoh
03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
thats what I was saying the top of the side rails comes up only 11mm above the top of the end plug so the actuall shell begins above the side rails

if thats the case, i would bring it down 11mm.

sounds overkill but anything above the plug can and will blow out into your bottom rail if the bottom rail is above the plug.

just because the actual shell isn't located where your rail is doesn't mean it won't take impact from the tube ripping outward.

St1dinoh
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Dead wrong, the plug itself can / will split and become dangerous debris. There is no way to "eliminate the potential" of blowing the rails off the rack as you say. Minimize slightly, maybe.

Not to mention it's a 1.3 rack in his pic if a shell blows in the gun it's gonna do what it wants.

dead wrong

there is far more potential for damage to the rack if the bottom rail is above the plug line. it's common sense.

QMAN
03-08-2011, 09:49 PM
St1dinoh is correct. You typically don't want the side rail to go above the top of the plug. If you have a shell blow in the tube the side walls will take a bulk of the initial force and the rest will be blowing out the top since that's the area of least resistance. If the side rail is below the top of the plug any pressure that's released when the mortar tube breaks and or splits open it will be quickly dissipated in the open air. If you have the rail extending past the top of the plug it will take the full force of that mortar side wall giving way. And if its powerful enough of a shell you could lose the entire bottom rail in the process. And I can't tell from Ralph's picture on the top rail, but its recommended to use screws vs nails. Some guys will use liquid nails or wood glue in addition to screws. Nails don't hold well when there is sidewards pressure such as when there is a blow out. They can pull right out. The rack will be ruined anyways if a salute blows, but building these safety features into a rack aren't design to keep the rack from being destroyed. Its to keep the shooters and the audience safe. Its not worth it to risk anyone's safety including your own.

St1dinoh
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh ya, I forgot! A mortar magically stops destructing at the plug line! Every mortar I have ever seen is split and blown clear out to the bottom and it's not uncommon to not even find the plug. This applies to both fiberglass and hdpe....what are your credentials again?

ha, ok dude, you're probably right. building racks in such a way as to minimize potential dangers and fail points is stupid. lets just build racks out of styrofoam and barbed wire, sounds like you know everything. teach me o wise one.

Pyro Nation
03-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Come on guys. The arguing can stop now. We all have our opinions. No need to get hostile over this.

pyrokid
03-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Come on guys. The arguing can stop now. We all have our opinions. No need to get hostile over this.

Safety and possibly lives can depend on proper rack construction. I can understand why people get fired up.

Pyro Nation
03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I understand to, but there isnt a need for people ripping on others asking for credentials and such

$/\/\0|<E
03-09-2011, 12:27 AM
I understand to, but there isnt a need for people ripping on others asking for credentials and such

It won't stop until at least August so I would just ignore it as much as possible ..

wpman321
03-14-2011, 10:14 PM
these are what I use for my shows. Have been reading previous posts in this forum and made me go out in the snow and take some pictures of my racks which is what I thought this thread was about.

Pyro Nation
03-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Very nice wpman. Like those. I need to paint mine black.lol

wpman321
03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
I have had these for a couple years and I think this year it is going to be time to add to them, maybe another 100 mortars, and when the weather breaks I am going to start to build more of these racks. They work out great for me, can position them anywhere in the show and if i have to they can set right next to each other and all I have to do is connect them with some 1 x 3 boards or just let them sit by themselves.

Pyro Nation
03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Some of the racks I built over the weekend. I just need to pain them now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI34N9v4mV0

BigMO
03-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Whatever happen to the guy who started this thread. he posted some good stuff. He listed as banned? Was he a s**t disturber?

pyrodude
03-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Whatever happen to the guy who started this thread. he posted some good stuff. He listed as banned? Was he a s**t disturber?

I asked the same thing a while back?? It looks like a lot of his stuff has been pulled down. He was a big help to me. He was more than willing to answer all the questions I'd ask him through PM. Seemed like a great knowledgeable guy. I didn't ever see him say or do anything wrong???

wpman321
03-27-2011, 08:20 PM
pyroliffic nice racks I to have built six more 20 shot racks now all I have to do is get some mortars for them. When the wood is free it always seems better.

Pyro Nation
03-27-2011, 08:30 PM
thanks.. I couldnt decide on the count per rack before when I ordered 20 of the 1.75.. So did 2 six shots and the 1 eight shot. Didnt want 2 mortars just laying around it would bug me..lol