PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks trouble in Oregon

displayfireworks1
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Here is a link to a news article sent to me. It involves one of my advertisers Tannerite. I heard him mention this company called “Western Fireworks” and their influence in Oregon and competition with fireworks in the area. Anyone from the area have an opinion on this.
http://www.oregonconservative.com/TannerCallTheirBluff.htm

NW Fireworks Lover
06-06-2012, 01:28 AM
If memory serves me correctly, Western controls a large part of the 1.3 display market in this state and there was some major drama there with Dan. Seems
like Dan really got the short end of the stick in the deal. Dan used to have a website with a lot of this info on it but I can't find it anymore. He started the OFA, Oregon fireworks association?? I think that was its name. At least he has a patented product and is getting a lot more exposure on various firework forums and retailers. I wish Dan all the best and hope to meet him one day very soon as we share the same back yard. You will notice the article you linked to is dated 2005. Maybe Dan can chime in with any info?? Hopefully one day Oregon can follow the lead of many other states that have gone full class c, but I'm not holding my breath...

displayfireworks1
06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
When that was sent to me, I did not notice the date. Funny thing, 15 minutes after I posted it Dan called me to talk. He told me at least one state in the United States has made his exploding targets illegal. All of the M-25 cakes that Big Fireworks purchased for resale are now sold out. Big Fireworks was smart enough to make a first move on these. I keep trying to convince my advertisers to sell these new AP “Air Burst” cakes but only a few people are moving on them.
He inquired about Michigan fireworks. Apparently, “Big Fireworks” used their influence to make it a requirement that whoever sells 1.4 Fireworks in Michigan has to have some ridiculous amount of insurance like 10 million before they are approved for retail sales. This reduces the playing field down to just a few players in the newly created market. If someone has an update on the Michigan situation I would like to hear about it.

Tannerite
06-07-2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.oregonconservative.com/TannerHearing.htm

Had a few crooked so-called authorities get charged and we got one more 1.3G wholesaler in Oregon but western is still trying to control the puppet strings. I plan on suing in federal court this year. It was good talking with you Dave. Been a while. This is an article from 2004

brownjm74
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
When that was sent to me, I did not notice the date. Funny thing, 15 minutes after I posted it Dan called me to talk. He told me at least one state in the United States has made his exploding targets illegal. All of the M-25 cakes that Big Fireworks purchased for resale are now sold out. Big Fireworks was smart enough to make a first move on these. I keep trying to convince my advertisers to sell these new AP “Air Burst” cakes but only a few people are moving on them.
He inquired about Michigan fireworks. Apparently, “Big Fireworks” used their influence to make it a requirement that whoever sells 1.4 Fireworks in Michigan has to have some ridiculous amount of insurance like 10 million before they are approved for retail sales. This reduces the playing field down to just a few players in the newly created market. If someone has an update on the Michigan situation I would like to hear about it.

As of right now there hasn’t been any update with the lawsuit on the 10mil insurance requirement. I did see M-25 cake at Big's "product demo" and they were pretty good. However they wanted $67.00 (if I remember right) for one of these!

indianahx
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I did see M-25 cake at Big's "product demo" and they were pretty good. However they wanted $67.00 (if I remember right) for one of these!

I was under the impression that AP's could not under any circumstances be resold as retail or "off the shelf". Buying a single piece sounds like retail. If you go to their site and are logged in as a wholesale buyer you will notice a substantially different price (which I won't be posting on here)....I believe you do have to be logged on, however, because they don't display the "professional" use products to the general public.

flynlr
06-08-2012, 03:22 AM
I was under the impression that AP's could not under any circumstances be resold as retail or "off the shelf". Buying a single piece sounds like retail. If you go to their site and are logged in as a wholesale buyer you will notice a substantially different price (which I won't be posting on here)....I believe you do have to be logged on, however, because they don't display the "professional" use products to the general public.
That is the truth. the bigs wholesale price for the m25 was much better than that.

brownjm74
06-12-2012, 07:36 AM
The price for the M-25 was listed on their demo sheet. They didn't say if it was wholesale or retail. I can tell you that they don't have it in their Lansing retail store.

eshe925872
06-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Ed with Skylab pyrotechnics here.I would like to tell this forum that what this mafia type harrasment they are putting Dan through is surely a situation of a major winnable lawsuit!He and I have been pushing special effect applications and the three I tried all got the same reply-you are never going to be approved on a special effect permit because Dan Tanner is not on the wholesale list!i am to buy from their crone list and file a limited display permit.Ok what do I do? The deputy fire marshal has me fill out a limited permit and buy from a dealer in Tacoma and western supplies them.Guess what app. Gets approved pay him 125.50 and all is set! I stand with Dan in his fight and I will go to court to testify if he needs.I hate politics and this has gone way too far.

eshe925872
06-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Dave thanks for posting that! I have been spreading copies all over Portland and Salem to let people know what liers and corruption has done to Dan and Oregon.I have re written the law and have the governors endorsement I just have to get the legislature behind it. I will send you a copy if you want.

displayfireworks1
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Here is a link sent to me with more information about the fireworks situation in Oregon. It appears a fireworks company called “Western Fireworks” has a monopoly on fireworks in Oregon and they are fighting hard to keep that way. I know Tannerite owner Dan tells me stories about some of thinks that go on in Oregon with fireworks and it does not sound too cool. Here is a link
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=137e61f79461aab4&mt=application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3D33e882b6dd%26view%3Datt%26th%3D137e 61f79461aab4%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbQkKDp7k7d45wWsX1HbvYMD2Uu3VA&pli=1

Pyro Nation
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Says sorry but document was not found

displayfireworks1
06-15-2012, 12:25 AM
I just clicked on it and it worked? Anyone else?

flynlr
06-15-2012, 12:39 AM
I just clicked on it and it worked? Anyone else?

it will work for you since its might be your google doc. but not anyone else

eshe925872
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Yes!, courts are agreeing with big D! Ha ha fire marshal make your own laws and lies don't work.Go get them Dan!

SoundColorfulBird
07-04-2012, 03:08 AM
There are two Western Companies in Oregon, by the way. Western Display Fireworks and just Western Fireworks, a Consumer Fireworks business. Both used to be in the same family if I remember right, the Class C one was sold to its current owners.

SoundColorfulBird
07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I read about the problems from the links in this thread that Dan Tanner has been having with the OSFM Office. What a eye-opener. I take it that the Western Company mentioned prior in this thread is Western Display?

displayfireworks1
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
There are some new issues going on involving selling “Special Effects” fireworks in the state of Oregon. I was asked to research the previous newspaper links we talked about and heard they have mysteriously been removed from the internet. I went back to this thread and now when I click on the links we talked about I find they do not exist. If anyone can find the links in this post talking about corruption involving fireworks sales in Oregon, please post.