PDA

View Full Version : Chromatropes

burgerfiredept
06-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I am looking into making some Chromatropes. This is my first attempt at it and I have been looking for lighter weight fountains that deliver enough propulsion to spin the chromatrope and have come up a little short.

I need to know if anyone else has made these and if so what kind of product did you use?

Also if small model rocket engines were used, what kind work best?

Thanks

Frankiefireworks19
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I started a thread the other day regarding exactly this! I wanted to see about how many different ways there are to make ordinary fireworks even more fun. Your post is the first time I've ever heard of Chromatropes. I looked them up and that is a spectacular effect! Apparently you just need good drivers. I'm not sure why your looking for lighter fountains though? If you were to get heavier fountains or cones they will pack a greater punch and be excellent drivers. As for Rocket engines I'd reccomend "D" sized, however I don't recognize those because they will last only seconds and give off hardly any effect.

burgerfiredept
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
The only reason I said lighter weight was for the simple fact that the lighter they are the easier it is to spin the wheel.

NW Fireworks Lover
06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Some really nice long lasting cone fountains would work pretty well. Silvery by Red Lantern is a good one. Dave has some nice cone fountains in some of his older vids...

burgerfiredept
06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I actually sell world class brand fireworks and we specifically carry their cone fountain no. 4. I think I'm gonna try that.

kitsune
06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I think there are some articles on the subject in Best of AFN II and/or III. Worth checking out if you have the book, or are looking to make a purchase.

Chris H
06-06-2012, 02:13 AM
I personally think it'd be easier to make your own drivers, but to each their own.

If you choose you use cone fountains, you may want to carefully cut one open. Frequently they're actually a tube fountain inside of a cone, mostly for show. The tubes will be easier to attach to the spokes than a cone.

burgerfiredept
06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I personally think it'd be easier to make your own drivers, but to each their own.

If you choose you use cone fountains, you may want to carefully cut one open. Frequently they're actually a tube fountain inside of a cone, mostly for show. The tubes will be easier to attach to the spokes than a cone.

Thanks Chris,

My brain failed to realize that. lol Especially since my viewing distance is over 1,000' I doubt that a astetic appearance of the fountain will matter. Thanks for the insight.