PDA

View Full Version : Roman Candle Project

PyroMike79
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey everyone. I have never incorporated Roman Candles into any of my shows in the past. I would like to change that this year and add a large roman candle barrage. I was wondering if anybody had any setup tips: both a way to group the candles together and a way to light them all together. I don't have a Type 54 so no quick match for me.

Also, if anybody has any recommendations on a good candle to shoot for this purpose that would be great as well. Probably looking to shoot one case. Thanks.

Palermitano2
03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Brothers Pyro Paintballs are great also Try Crazy aces......Dave has a Great Video on what to do.......

PyroMike79
03-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks all. I had seen Dave's video with the Pyro Paintball candles, but I had heard they were not as good anymore. I am a big fan of Crazy Aces myself but was hoping for something with more shots. Might give the Paintball candles a shot. I will try and get some pictures of my setup on this when the time comes-you can all get a look at how NOT to make a candle barrage. lol

tcape
03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Setup Photo

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php/photo/26851/title/glass-2010-friday-pavilion-pics/cat/501

How dare you post a link to anything from Pyro Universe! If I've learned anything from Dave, it's that everyone there is of the devil.

PKMF
03-03-2011, 12:26 AM
How dare you post a link to anything from Pyro Universe! If I've learned anything from Dave, it's that everyone there is of the devil.

Oh ya, I forgot that's kind of a touchy subject around here. I guess your right if by devil you mean ROCKS!

BigBang87
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Brothers Pyro Paintballs are great also Try Crazy aces......Dave has a Great Video on what to do.......

I second the Brothers Pyro Paintballs got a whole case of them!

BigMO
03-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Got a better Idea quick fuse either 20 Color Pearls or Firework Fiesta or Dueling Dragons. I have completed a roman candle project in the past and found it a longer process than just quick fusing 20 or so 200gram cakes, just a thought!

pyromaniac
03-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Setup Photo

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php/photo/26851/title/glass-2010-friday-pavilion-pics/cat/501 I'm scared to click on it, it could be a trap!!!;)

$/\/\0|<E
03-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Comets Over America \|/

$/\/\0|<E
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Shouldn't matter where you pull pics/videos from !

tcape
03-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Shouldn't matter where you pull pics/videos from !

Yeah, but we all heard from Dave that everyone over at Pyro Universe is out to sabotage this forum.

...oh wait, it was only a few from Pyro Universe :rolleyes:

Back on subject though:
I've found that the easiest way to do a roman candle barrage is to take a bunch of candles and duct tape them together in a bundle, then use spray adhesive on the tops of them and sprinkle a small amount of BP on top. Run a fuse in a little circle over the top of that and use masking tape to secure the fuse on the top. Sounds like a long process on paper, but it's really quick and simple in practice. Took me maybe 20 minutes to split a case of 144 total candles into 4 bundles and prepare them.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Real nice effect--great spread & good pattern!

fireworkfan503
03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
To be Honest I like the Comets Over America the best now don't get me wrong if you want a little more noise the pyro paintballs are the way to go since they have the crackle but,for just a comet Comets over America is the way to go.You may also want to check out Crazy Aces Candles from Pyro Predator which is a hales brand they are very nice candles IMO.

abovegroundfun
03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
This is a little roman candle project I did this year for the Super Bowl....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkO6BST0rU

jknepp1954
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Comets Over America are also very nice.

Cool video (youtube this time maybe it will be better accepted)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPgV2hOf88
Does Hales still handle the GB products?
If not, is there anything else similar to these on the market?

I also agree Brothers Pyro Paintballs.
Did anyone ever try Legends ASsorted 8 balls candles? They are a long candle that even stand alone as a pack of 4 is very nice. I could just imagine what a whole case or even 1/2 cs would be like!

NormanNormal
03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I second the Brothers Pyro Paintballs got a whole case of them!

I also got a case of them this year. Going to make a huge fan rack. It's going to be awesome.

nrubmx
03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
i would say crazy aces is a bad idea for a project like this, it is more of a premium candle and only 5 shot but pyro paint balls waould be great because they shoot very high/far and good colors

Palermitano2
03-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Got a better Idea quick fuse either 20 Color Pearls or Firework Fiesta or Dueling Dragons. I have completed a roman candle project in the past and found it a longer process than just quick fusing 20 or so 200gram cakes, just a thought!

I am going to use this method this year. My wholesaler has 144 shot color pearls a case of those will be a nice touch.......

pyrodude
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Does anyone have a video of the candles in this photo being shot. They look like a large high shot count candle?? Any other info on these out there?