PDA

View Full Version : set piece help needed

TitaniumsalTDI
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I am gonna build a small set piece for my brothers college grad party and am looking for suggestions. I was thinking of getting some lattice work and putting it together that way. Any tips would be great

J's12talk
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Fast sticky match works great for set pieces.

VFI_Fireworks
05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Are you writing something or what is your plan, gotta have a plan... just cant go all willie nillie. Are you using lances and fountains? I personally like wheels added to a set piece. Maybe do the college mono. or if your artistic do the mascot. I like plywood and finish nails. set pieces get expensive. let me know I can give you some ideas.

Pyro@Mach13
05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
What is the best way for a non 54 person to do a set piece with words? Need a 54 to get lances no?

PyroJoeNEPA
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
What is the best way for a non 54 person to do a set piece with words? Need a 54 to get lances no?
Lots of 1.4 guys use Morning Glories. In the past I used them--I took them apart [off the stick] & put 2 in a jumbo straw that had a hot glue plug in the bottom & was cut to length. [Make sure the primed ends are facing the fuse end].They sticks on a finish nail real good. Used grey paper fast fuse [doubled] with masking tape over the tops & later got stick match. You can buy a case of a zillion Morning Glories for very little $$$. Now it is Lances & Sticky Match....but I remember all those cold winter nights "disassembling" Morning Glories ..BTW --they didn't look bad!!!

Pyro@Mach13
05-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Lots of 1.4 guys use Morning Glories. In the past I used them--I took them apart [off the stick] & put 2 in a jumbo straw that had a hot glue plug in the bottom & was cut to length. [Make sure the primed ends are facing the fuse end].They sticks on a finish nail real good. Used grey paper fast fuse [doubled] with masking tape over the tops & later got stick match. You can buy a case of a zillion Morning Glories for very little $$$. Now it is Lances & Sticky Match....but I remember all those cold winter nights "disassembling" Morning Glories ..BTW --they didn't look bad!!!

Cool, thanks for the tip Joe... will have to play around with that.

TitaniumsalTDI
05-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I plan on using lances, i want to keep it simple like congrats my brothers name c/o 2012 the the college letters. very simple but something to let him know its for him. secondly i've built set pieces before where we have stapled them with the qm i have heard different takes on it.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I plan on using lances, i want to keep it simple like congrats my brothers name c/o 2012 the the college letters. very simple but something to let him know its for him. secondly i've built set pieces before where we have stapled them with the qm i have heard different takes on it.
Sticky Match is a lot faster & easier if you can find it. I picked a couple rolls up at Kellners while I was there--but you better call & see if they have any left. I know they were sold out of the waterproof QM by demo night.

burgerfiredept
05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
I might be coming in here a little late but menards sells bundles of lattice like boards for like $8. The lighter the set piece the better but make the frame pretty strong. Sticky match is my preferred method and if you want guaranteed ignition of each lance, put a small thumb tack through the match into the lance.

TitaniumsalTDI
05-21-2012, 09:34 AM
sounds like a good idea but we don't have any menards around here, but the thumb tack idea sounds good, its not going to be a big piece so it wont' be too time consuming to do the whole thing like that.

VFI_Fireworks
05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Dave's gonna yell at you guys you cant mention businesses that dont advertise on his site. Its probabaly an oversite but carry on! Try using code names like rubberducky and skullybones and maybe you can hide from the all seeing all knowing OZ....LOL

Sound like really good ideas, keep us informed on how it goes and add a vid. Titan.