PDA

View Full Version : Display Racks

georgiapyro
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
So, I think I missed the boat on this one, but I wasn't really sure if I was going to commit and get my 54, so I have not bought any racks for the upcoming holidays. My interview with my ATF agent is Wednesday, so I'm pretty confident I'll get the license. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any sales that come around the bend for display racks. Not looking for a lot, but maybe 2-3 12shot 2.5" and 1-2 10shot 3". Just wanted to see if I should wait to buy, or bite the bullet and pay a little more. Also, the shoot that I will be able to use 1.3g in is not until September. Thanks in advance for the responses!

VFI_Fireworks
04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Dont wait you will be sorry, people that say they're running a sale on tubes and racks often just got a shipment in not really a sale if ya know what I mean. A bunch of companies will sell out and you will be left with )))))0(((((. Besides its all part of the fun building racks. I build about 40-50 each year and sometimes run out of tubes myself... My advice just buy um before there gone.

indianahx
05-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Keep in mind, if you're using contingency storage any product that can't be shot has to be in storage. I say this because, for example, most 3" shells come 72 to a case. While reloading IS done, are you really going to reload 20 3" mortars almost 4 times to shoot all 72 shells?

In my opinion, buy a few at a time, and when the time is right buy the good steals. I wouldn't just limit yourself to only buying a handful of tubes.

If you have your own mag, then by all means only shoot 5 or 10 shells at a time....

Just keep the storage aspect in your mind when your purchasing...

PyroJoeNEPA
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
You can never have enough racks! Buy--or build--them as you can. As long as you have the storage, go for it. Also, if you are in a club check what vendors are delivering to your club shoots & if they have the size tubes you need. It will save you a bundle on shipping charges. [Another good reason to be involved in a club!!!].

PyroJoeNEPA
05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I say this because, for example, most 3" shells come 72 to a case. While reloading IS done, are you really going to reload 20 3" mortars almost 4 times to shoot all 72 shells?

Some vendors will sell individual shells so you can pick & choose what you want & not have to sit on a case of 72 or 100 shells. You pay a little more per shell, but it is worth it if you are only supplementing a class c show or just want to shoot some b product at a club shoot. Food for thought!

georgiapyro
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the responses. I do have contingency, so I wouldn't be buying shells in bulk. I have found a couple of vendors that sell open stock for their shells, so I should be able to just buy a few. And you're right about shipping. Just a few racks is quite a lot money to ship. I might take a look at buying the tubes and building the racks over the summer. Anyone have any designs they use? I'm capable of building, but not a true handy man, if you know what I mean... haha

indianahx
05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Some vendors will sell individual shells so you can pick & choose what you want & not have to sit on a case of 72 or 100 shells. You pay a little more per shell, but it is worth it if you are only supplementing a class c show or just want to shoot some b product at a club shoot. Food for thought!

Guess I had never thought about that, good point. Im just using to seeing the case quantities and had never really thought about buying single pieces....

georgiapyro
05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to comment on this tread again to possibly get some more responses. I've decided to purchase the 2.5" and 3" by themselves and build the racks. Like I said before, I'm no handyman so I wanted to see if anyone has any dimensions they have used previously. Would love it if I could some help on this one! Thanks!

VFI_Fireworks
05-14-2012, 06:41 PM
This is for a 10 tube rack 3" Lowes has from time to time cull lumber check for 1x3 and 1x4 get some 2x4 studs cheaper ones cut 8 1x4 @ 3 1/2 and 8 1x3 @ 3 1/2 these are your spacers between the tubes. cut (2) 2x4 @ 20" these are your sides cut (1) 2x4 @ 36" this is your bottom rail. Now cut (2) 1x3 and 1x4 @ 36" these will be your bottom and top side rails 1x4 on bottom. Attach using 16p on 2x4's and 6p finish on 1x. place (2) 1/2" eye boltz 4" from the top and bottom on both sides. Go to tractor supply or a farm store get 3/8 fence rebar has a triangle welded on it use this to anchor your new racks

Follow same info for 2 1/2" you may need to adjust the sizing for the type of tubes your using... do this by placing spacers and 2x4's between the number of tubes you plan to use. overall length should be used for all rails. You will have to rip a 2x4 to fit the 2 1/2" tubes.

I made a few of these they work very well.

indianahx
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I just bought 8 3" tubes from a rummage sale with HPA....I threw 6 of them into a quick little rack. I will post a picture in the morning when I get back home (workin dumb night shift hour and half from home now)

indianahx
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
here are the pictures that i managed to take.....literally took no time whatsoever to cut the wood, predrill holes, and screw it all together. tubes fit perfectly snug, no need to screw from bottom:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z381/indianahx/IMAG0144.jpg
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z381/indianahx/IMAG0143.jpg
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z381/indianahx/IMAG0142.jpg

georgiapyro
05-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I've only built consumer racks before, and really did not do a very good job. I wanted to make sure I had an idea about what to do before I embarked on building 1.3g racks.

Nice pics Indiana! Looks like they'll do the trick.

oldfart
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
I have many racks to build and lots to repair. My problem isn't building the racks but getting the state regulations. I know MA requires upper and lower side boards to be 1" X 6" (nominal) for all racks. Trying to get regs from NH Fire Marshal for my state. Most states here require a spacing of 1/2 tube diameter between mortars. Most states around here require above ground morars to have a bottom plug thickness equal to the diameter. Lots of commercially available mortars do not. I know NH requires tubes to anchored in the mortar.

oldfart