PDA

View Full Version : the key to a good break

whitepyro
03-01-2011, 11:53 PM
i've nearly hit it on the head,is there any more tricks to get better breaks out of ball shells,is there more to it than separating your stars with tissue paper?

pyromaniac
03-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I found out through experience that a good satisfying break is most easily achieved by using a slow-flash booster charge. Skylighter has a great project plan on how to make a 4 inch ball shell with a nice hard break. Check it out http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/4-inch-ball-shell.asp The only thing I could add is if your using paper shells, paste 7-8 layers of kraft tape! Hope that helps!

whitepyro
03-02-2011, 02:21 AM
cheers man.would pyro direct send shell casings to new zealand

Pyro Nation
03-02-2011, 02:28 AM
They do ship internationally. Everything on their site they can ship to you there

whitepyro
03-02-2011, 03:16 AM
sweet,shippings heaps though

Ralph
03-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Despite what any noob or lazzy person may tell you the key to a good break is not adulterating your shell with flash (causing a distracting flash that causes retinal burn and prevents proper color perception) but to use quality BP and to paste paste and paste some more a well and fairly evenly pasted shell will break perfectly every time

also pyroliffic please check your facts before posting skylighter will not even send books here despite several emails asking them

BJV1
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I have to agree with Ralph, I only use paper hemi's. Pasting and the correct bursting charge is the only way
to achieve a good break. Below the a video of one of my 6" round shells. This shell was pasted with 13 layers of 50lb gum tape. The bursting charge was a 5 to 1 homemade HOT BP with 5grams of whistle booster.
BJV1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4oGvReK2jw&feature=feedwll

californiapyro
03-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Despite what any noob or lazzy person may tell you the key to a good break is not adulterating your shell with flash (causing a distracting flash that causes retinal burn and prevents proper color perception) but to use quality BP and to paste paste and paste some more a well and fairly evenly pasted shell will break perfectly every time

also pyroliffic please check your facts before posting skylighter will not even send books here despite several emails asking them

he's asking about pyrodirect, not skylighter.

pyromaniac
03-03-2011, 12:40 AM

also pyroliffic please check your facts before posting skylighter will not even send books here despite several emails asking them I suppose PGI grandmaster Ned Gorski is a noob or lazy person. He did write that article!

Ralph
03-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I can tell you this now he has written many articles for skylighter but he didn't get title of grandmaster with plastic 4" shells or with mines made with disposable cups if you ask him how to make a good shell and get a great break he would tell you start with quality chemicals and make your components with love and care pack tightly and paste well

pyros
03-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Hello!

We usually use a technique I learned from southern Italy. The break charge consists of basically Polverone with a slow flash booster, then the shell get's one layer of paper. After that, we spike the shell as you would do on cylindrical shells too with pasted cotton string. When this is dry, it shrinks together a little bit and get's even tighter. After that, a second layer of pasted paper goes on, maybe a third, depending on the size. And that's it.

bye!
Alex