PDA

View Full Version : 10’-12’-8’…1.3 fireworks Mexico & China

displayfireworks1
04-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Special thanks to J’12talk for allowing me to video him demonstrating the shells in the video. The video is also playing on my youtube channel so it should be fun to see what the opinion of others on this issue is.
The cost factor on these shells always has to be consider, while the real fireworks enthusiast may be able to see differences with these shells, you have to wonder will the average person that may only see one display a year know the difference. With the economy the way it is, there is always a reason to keep the cost of a display down.
I slowed the video down so we could all see J’12talk in action. J’ was you thinking “Is my back on fire”. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkNoK5ZYko
Here is the youtube video description.
The shipping boats leaving China will not carry large display shells 8 inches and above into United States because of their more restrictive transportation classification. The solution is either to make the larger shells domestically in USA or import them from a location that does not cross the ocean. Thus the Mexico play, these larger shells can be ground transported into United States.
Demand for these types of shells has been dramatically reduced because of the more restrictive classification. To meet whatever demand there is in United States for these large shells one of three things is occurring.
1. Importation from Mexico.
2. Purchase from the few domestic (USA) manufactures.
3. Mislabeling of imported product from China.

Of course, the cost factor has to be considered in all these options. Please review the video and if you have an opinion please state it. If you are from outside of the United States I would also enjoy hearing your opinion on this issue.

Special thanks to “J” for allowing us to video quick-footed moves. LOL

Pyro@Mach13
04-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Looks like the 8" Chinese shell was the winner as far as break size and duration. J was right again! Sadly, the Mexican shells are not what they are cracked up to be.

UniversalPyro
04-21-2012, 08:49 PM
One thing i want to say is that since i did purchase the 8inch in the video which was chinese, One thing to remember is that when you order your stock, be sure to specify what you may want. This supplier didn't let me know there was two different makers of the shells, they just pull the order and give you what they want. What we did here, for me will never happen again cause i would not invest in the Mexican 10, 12 shells when you can get a 8 chinese shell and make it look better than the 10 and 12inch. I do have to say that we had a great night doing this though. A great experience.

displayfireworks1
04-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Below is a copy and paste message I received from the Netherlands about large display fireworks shells. The message is posted with permission.
Well, living in The Netherlands it's almost impossible to use 8 inch or let alone bigger. After a storage for professional fireworks blew up in May 2000, the safety distances for lighting fireworks professionally were changed. E.g. for an 8 inch you'll need 325 metres and for a 12 inch 455 metres of safety distance to the public or any "vulnerable" object. Taking into account that most festivities take place within city centres, you'll understand the impossibility to use (bigger) shells in a display.

I'm already happy if I can do a display with 4 inch (200 metres), but mostly it'll be a display with only consumer fireworks for which we need 30 metres. For New Year's Eve, however, these same consumer fireworks are available to the general public and THEN it's okay for them to maintain a distance of 7 metres.

Anyway, all this as an introductary answer to your question. If I were to fire a 12 inch, what would I prefer?

Storage of profesional fireworks is forbidden in the Netherlands (again after aforementioned explosion). However, in neighbouring countries 8 inch shells and bigger aren't lying around for the taking either. Simply because these are hardly used there as well. When asking around you can manage to get hold of a few. Mostly Chinese and sometimes Spanish or Italian. Personally I prefer the Spanish and Italian shells, because of their high quality. Which obviously comes to a certain price as well. So, as you already mentioned, it also comes down to the available budget.

On the other hand... what good do one or two 12 inchers give me at 800 metres? What I actually prefer, is a closer display with smaller caliber. Up to 4 inch you can do nice things. Although up to 6 inch would be better, because that'll give me just a bit more degrees of freedom in choosing effects and combining different altitudes for my display.

In summary, over here reduction of bigger caliber shells isn't due to restrictive classification, but due to restrictive safety distances for firing. Of course, if the latter wouldn't be an issue, than the first would be. If overseas import were to be impossible, then we can still import from Spain or Italy. Again at a certain cost. Although these shells don't seem to be pricy, judging by the amounts that are fired in Spain and Italy. No further need, I guess, to explain why I regularly make a trip over there? I do? Well, they also have nice weather, good food and beautifull women ;)

Regards
M......

kitsune
04-22-2012, 02:36 PM
I have to agree that the Chinese shells do look better (though, I liked the color in that second shell)... But fingers crossed that, in time, the Mexican shells will improve in quality.

Also, surprised that you were allowed to hand-fire those. At DoIt, everything 8" and over had to be e-fired.

J's12talk
04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I have to agree that the Chinese shells do look better (though, I liked the color in that second shell)... But fingers crossed that, in time, the Mexican shells will improve in quality.

Also, surprised that you were allowed to hand-fire those. At DoIt, everything 8" and over had to be e-fired.

We all signed a release and I was fully aware of the risks. I have been shooting for years and whenever I have the opportunity to hand light large shells I do. I was wearing full protection and was willing to accept the risks involved. I would never do this on a company shoot. This was play time and this is how we play, on the edge. The rush is incredible, it's either this or jump out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute.

Pyro@Mach13
04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
I have seen Jay in action, he is very safe and knows what he is doing.

Easternpapyro
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
i must agree with pyro@Mach13 i am VERY safe but i have leared how to be safer being around jay he knows exactly what he is doing at all times and i have a very high respect for him!!!!!!!

kitsune
04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
i must agree with pyro@Mach13 i am VERY safe but i have leared how to be safer being around jay he knows exactly what he is doing at all times and i have a very high respect for him!!!!!!!

Maybe I mistyped... I don't recall ever having questioned his safety, experience, etc. I simply was surprised that he was allowed to do it as, at the club shoots I have been to (also run by individuals that I'm sure are just as safe and experienced), this is not allowed. That's all. In the future I'll keep my big mouth shut.

J's12talk
04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Maybe I mistyped... I don't recall ever having questioned his safety, experience, etc. I simply was surprised that he was allowed to do it as, at the club shoots I have been to (also run by individuals that I'm sure are just as safe and experienced), this is not allowed. That's all. In the future I'll keep my big mouth shut.

It's all good dude, it was my decision and my risk to take. They didn't ask and I didn't tell.

Pyro@Mach13
04-23-2012, 08:31 PM

No no no - I did not take it that you were saying anything negative or questioning his skills. I was just reiterating that Jay was good to go with the risk... Your post/question was certainly fair, no need to shut up.... 8-)

kitsune
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
No no no - I did not take it that you were saying anything negative or questioning his skills. I was just reiterating that Jay was good to go with the risk... Your post/question was certainly fair, no need to shut up.... 8-)

No worries... I've had one of those days, so I'm probably a little crabbier than I need to be. :P And I have to hand it to him, I don't know that I have the intestinal fortitude to be standing that close to something that big when it goes up (I get the thrill of hand-firing, but I've never shot anything bigger than 5, and never built anything larger than 4). :D I had the good fortune to load and e-fire a 10", and I was close enough to it to know that I probably didn't want to be any closer (but it was still *really* cool).

Anyway, the point I had originally intended to make was that I really hope the Mexicans get better at building these shells. With labor costs going up in China, if they continue to hold a more or less monopoly on fireworks things could start to get expensive... Unless some of these other countries start to put out product that's good enough to compete what the Chinese are putting out (or, better yet, there is some kind of resurgence in U.S. made fireworks; but that's probably a bit of a pipe dream).

Pyro Nation
04-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Mexicans get better... Been a couple years now... nothing seems to have changed... I dont know if we need to send some down there on Cake, shell, salute building or what to do.. I had to repair 2 out of the 4 Bella Noche cakes I got from them today. Glad I didnt use them, they would of blown apart

UniversalPyro
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Were in the same boat, we gave the mexican shells a chance to see there best foot forward, 8's, 10's and 12. But they have some improving to do. The bigger problem i see is performance, we had shells go up and come right back down on us, also fuses wouldn't burn, they would light and fizzle out and then re-light. Even a Peanut shell blew apart out of the gun. We just need to manufacture in good old USA!!! wishful thinking!

J's12talk
04-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Keep in mind that the products we had problems with were made in china. The mexican product we shot functioned properly just very weak. He's buying the cheapest junk he can from china so he can make money. It's not about quality it's about money.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
What Jay said is on the money [no pun intended!!] The Mexican product did work without malfunctions--just didn't perform well.. Lots of issues with the Chinese product. Now that everyone is rested up you will probably see a thread very soon discussing the "best & worst" of the demo....both 1.3 & 1.4 lines.

Pyro@Mach13
04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
What Jay said is on the money [no pun intended!!] The Mexican product did work without malfunctions--just didn't perform well.. Lots of issues with the Chinese product. Now that everyone is rested up you will probably see a thread very soon discussing the "best & worst" of the demo....both 1.3 & 1.4 lines.

Good idea on the best & worst thread Joe.